tjwandel

Sep 25, 2001
Well, I've finally started to get my bike broken in. I have had it out for 3 days so far with about 90 miles total. This bike absolutely rocks. I have no regrets on purchasing the 200. The bike is twice as fast as my KDX200 was, and handles much, much better. I can't say enough how pleased I am with this bike. Thanks for all the advice prior to my purchase. Tom

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Tom & Speedway welcome to the world of Orange. Tom I have to agree on how much fun those 200's are. Actually they are all great (IMO), and yes I have ridden them all (from 200 up). Have fun guys, and keep us in touch if you have any questions. There are bunch of knowledgable orange bloods here.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
ive got 50 miles on my new 200 exc and it dose handle
better than my 00 kdx 200 ever did which inturn makes
me a faster rider the only complaint i have
junk stock tires :aj:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
How is the power characteristic compared to the KDX? I've been considering both and would prefer the KTM due to better suspension and overall quality, plus I like the concept of a 200cc engine in a 125 frame (Kawi should offer their KDX engine in a KX125 frame, too bad). I have heard great things about the 200 E/XC but some folks recently warned me it has quite a hit when it comes on the pipe compared to something like a KDX. Power is always good, but not necessarily if it's sudden.

I know many of you have switched from the KDX to the KTM 200 and all seem pleased with the move. Any other insight you can share comparing the 2 for trail riding and hare scrambles would be appreciated.

tjwandel

Sep 25, 2001
Dougroost, I will take the EXC over my KDX any day. It has lots more power and a harder hit, but it isn't unmanageable. In fact, this bike makes the KDX seem like a foo-foo bike. Everything is better, engine, suspension, etc. I find myself going much faster than I ever went on my KDX, and with more confidence. I admit, the bike is a bit more to handle, but after a couple of rides, I'm used to it. I have absolutely no regrets. The difference in price is worth it. Just my opinion!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Sounds like I need one of these! We have a guy in our club who came off an XR400 and he's doing great in hare scrambles now that he's gotten used to his 200. The other possibility is a KTM thumper but I'm really liking the idea of the 200 E/XC. Just need to ride them back to back now to be certain.

Tye

Feb 12, 2000
I don't think you could possibly go wrong with a 200 or 250 EXC. I've got to say I have a lot more fun riding my 01 250 EXC than I ever did riding my old XR600, and I'm a much faster rider with the KTM. I haven't ridden a 200, but from what I hear they're pretty nice. The 250 has very strong bottom end power, its a real tractor in the woods.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Dougie R, Well I dont want to start a flame because I like KTM's bikes, but if the only thing that worries you about the 200 exc is the hit and sudden burst of power that the KTM is known for, you might want to try a GasGas 200, they have a milder motor and still have all the great suspension and handling as the orange bike, some will say that the GG is a better handling bike than the KTM too.:)

try to ride both if you can

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Teton, I've actually considered GG because I've heard they are pretty awesome 2 strokes. Like the idea of their trials background, "borrowing" the Kawasaki perimeter frame design but executing it better, and "borrowing" the Honda CR engine. Trying to find one to test ride is the trick. Have read guys who switched from various brands (including KTM) and who prefer their handling and such. They're not as mainstream as KTM but I understand Smackover gives great support and service.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I've always wanted a KDX (and I might still get one of the older ones at a good price). But I passed it over and got the EXC 200. I read all the tests on the 200 EXC--four times at least. Then I tried the bike twice--one time for two hours. Simply a blast. Bought a used 00 model in perfect shape out of state last September.

Hit? Yeah a nice hit. One that keeps you interested--and smiling. But controllable. It's all in the throttle, like most of KTM's bikes, twist it slowly and you have perfect control. Wick it and WOW! Is this a 200?

I read that the 250 is very similar--but about 10 pounds heavier than its little brother. So is the KDX ten pounds heavier than the EXC 200. The 200 EXC is about 223 pounds running weight without fuel, and KTM calls it dead weight at 211 or 214#'s as I recall. Did I mention that I believe in power to weight ratios, and first and foremost for me in a wood's bike is LIGHTWEIGHT WITH CONTROL? The 200 EXC conforms nicely.

It's been called a supercharged 200, a magnum 200, and a 125 on steroids. And I won't argue with that. But what's nice is you can have it all here. No one talks about how good a trail bike it is. You can crawl in the stock low first gear, and have stealth too with the stock KTM exhaust. And there's torque to be had in the low gears. The bike just continues to amaze me. You'll never get sick of riding this bike, and I'm sure if you get rid of it for something new, you're going to miss it terribly (Am I a bit biased here?)

Another thing, I don't think the 200 will need the top end maintenance frequency of say, a 125, from what I have read and heard. (I think KDX's are the same.) And yet that is what this bike really is, actually a 200 in a 125 chassis. Less maintence for me is good. Also, the jetting that came with this bike seems to be perfect from 35 degrees F. on up to very hot weather. I though with a two stroke I would have to change it for every little thing. So now I think I'll only have to change it when I ride in the mountains--and I had to do that with all my 4-strokes. Less maintenance again--makes me smile.

Consider this is all coming from a guy that has preferred four strokes for thirty years and rode them exclusively. In the beginning I didn't like my first two strokes. The little 200 EXC has brought me back to two strokes, and I am extremely pleased. I'm even getting used to the two stroke sound, too. Get used to this bike and you will love it. For reference, I'm 178# geared up and 5-10 inches tall. And I think this bike will handle 200 pounders.

Now ideally, it would be great to pair this bike up in the corner of my garage with a 400 EXC RFS, or maybe a 520. But if you can only have one bike, the 200 EXC should be at the top of the list if you like lightweight, control, and roll on, or wick on, power.

Last edited:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
geremacheks, I think you just sold a 200 E/XC for KTM! Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and I really appreciate that coming from you since you had been on thumpers for so long.

When I got back into riding last year I bought a 4 stroke since I wanted less maintenance to leave me more time to ride. However, after owning one and doing valve adjustments, oil changes, jettting checks, etc., I'm convinced this bike would have less maintentance than a thumper. And if something does go very wrong it's far cheaper and easier to repair. I also think the fun factor will be higher, which is what it's all about to me.

Thanks again to all who have helped here.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
As they say Doug, you'll probably have no regrets.

As for me, I just love too many bikes. I'm looking for another thumper woods bike to kind of contrast with the EXC. And I still love KLX's. Your's sounds interesting and I suppose will be soon for sale.... But Texas, too far away....

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Yes, I love my KLX. Very comfortable, reliable, and confidence inspiring, especially when things getty muddy or slimy. Have it set up just the way I like it now, too. The good news is this bike got me back into the sport and really helped me get my skills back. The KTM will take me to the next level.

I'd like to keep it to have one of each but don't think I could justify that with a pretty pumpkin in the garage! If my 12 year old son were a little older I'd probably save the KLX for him, but the TTR125L is the perfect size for him (and my wife!), so I'll probably be getting one of those, too.

McRage

Jan 13, 2002
Trying to decide...

I've read every post about the KTM 200, every article comparing the KDX 200 and 220 to the KTM 200, but am still undecided.

My current bike is a 1988 KTM 350 Enduro ... the same model Kevin Hines won the National on in 88. Good power, a little too tall, and gobs of torque (3rd gear woods riding), but the seat is like a 2 X 6 after an hour or so...

I weight 200 pounds and am 5' 11". I mostly ride single track CCC trails in Michigan and love to go fast.

I'm very familiar with the KDX 200 with FMF pipe and silencer, and I love the way the bike rides. My question is for those that have tried both bikes enough to offer an objective comparison.

Which is better for tight woods riding, and why? Is there a noticable difference in power, handling, and reliability. What about modification ... For example, the KDX is pretty peppy with a pipe and silencer. Will the stock KTM 200 match it for power and torque...? I would appreciate any feedback:)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Check out the thread in the KDX forum titled 'KDX 200 vs. KTM 200'. Consensus is a stock KTM 200 is probably still more powerful than a ported and modded KDX 200.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
A KDX HAS A LITTLE MORE TORQUE
A KTM HAS MORE H.P. AND BETTER SUPENSION
BOTH ARE VERY RELIABLE
THE ? IS DO YOU WANT A RACE READY KTM
OR A KDX TO DO ALOT OF MODS TO

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
McRage-----I think you can answer your biggest question yourself. You live and ride in Michigan, and the state is full of KTM 200's. I bought mine there. You must see them on the trails. The CCC riders will gladly help you out. Just get to know someone on a KTM 200 and try out that bike. Let the bike answer all your questions objectively. Your weight and height are in the ballpark for the EXC 200. I've tried out a KDX 220, and way, way down low the bike will probably crawl better than a EXC 200. But not by that much.

Also I think Dirt Bike compared both these bikes just as you described in a great test. (May have been Dirt Rider.) If I come across it I'll post the issue. You can usually get back issues of these mags. The KDX with changes was amazing as I recall--but it still couldn't compare to the EXC.

Which is better for really tight woods? A bike without a radiator. The steering stops are so tight with liquid cooled bikes that I am not happy with the way any of them turn. The KLX has a reputation of great steering. Sorry, I had one, and was disapointed with the turning. A real good bike for really tight woods are the old, pre 93 XR 200R's, with long adjustable suspension. These bikes are the true description of great, tight turning at slow speeds--almost like a trials bike. Ahh, but with progress, comes compromises--and more power. My 03 cents.

Last edited:

Top Bottom