Back in the game...a few choices...KX, KDX, EXC???

Jan 11, 2009
Thanks for having me...first post so go easy on me please! I am a 35 year old who is returning to dirt bikes after a long hiatus! I have three young boys and I just purchased a Honda CRF 50 and CRF 70 for them for Xmas. Although it was not well disquised, I now have a great excuse to purchase a bike for myself :laugh: ! As a kid I owned an XR80 and an XR100. I always loved the two stroke bikes, but never had the pleasure of owning one. Well, that is about to change. I need a bike for light trail riding with my kids, and ripping around the backyard with a big old grin on my face! I am considering a 2004 KDX 220, a 2003 KX 125 or maybe an 05 KTM EXC 200. I am 6' tall and 210 pounds and want a bike that will grow with me as a rider...any advice would be much appreciated!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
At 210 lbs I would not recommend the KX125. You would have to rev the guts out of it to make it go.

There are a ton of mods out there to make the KDX anything you want it to be but stock they are pretty mellow- and quiet. (Good for the back yard) One warning about the 220 is the stock pistons have a habit of breaking, most people replace it with a Wiesco.

Compared to the KDX the KTM is lighter, faster but lacking the cushy seat.

Probably the most important thing that you will need to do with a two stroke is make sure that they are jetted properly as you will be putting around for a while as the kids learn and don't want to be fouling spark plugs.

There is a ton of info on this site about KDX's and www.ktmtalk.com has a ton of info on KTM's.

And welcome back to riding!

Top Bottom