kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I was hot after a new truck but Amy, (beautiful better half... tell her I said that Eddie :nod: ) was looking at the the KTM display at Millville, she out of the blue says, that that 450 looks good and it is priced pretty well too...... :yikes: Well I was in shock but gotta love her for that :nod: Anyway I actually have been looking at the 250fXc models. I Ride trails and like hare scrambles, but I want to race a MX or two as well. What is the consensus on which one and why. Maybe this belongs in the what bike do I get forum, but you guys are better informed on this topic.

Yes Okie ,I may be headed for the smokeless crowd :ohmy:

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
kmccune
Okie wants called me a orange zelot, but I'm ok with that. The 250XC-F is more for racing, while the XC-F-W would be better for trail riding, the XCWs also come with a computer and the forks and shock is plusher.

The Septemper issue of Dirt Bike magazine as a article on the new KTM XCs.

Good luck....Congrats on your future orange.
Steve

SlyFoxMx

Mar 15, 2004
Get the xc-f It's like the SX motocrosser but has a heavier flywheel and slightly softer suspension. :rotfl:

kmccune said:
I was hot after a new truck but Amy, (beautiful better half... tell her I said that Eddie :nod: ) was looking at the the KTM display at Millville, she out of the blue says, that that 450 looks good and it is priced pretty well too...... :yikes: Well I was in shock but gotta love her for that :nod: Anyway I actually have been looking at the 250fXc models. I Ride trails and like hare scrambles, but I want to race a MX or two as well. What is the consensus on which one and why. Maybe this belongs in the what bike do I get forum, but you guys are better informed on this topic.

Yes Okie ,I may be headed for the smokeless crowd :ohmy:

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Hi Kmccune, hope you are well,

I'm not a KTM owner but feel I could comment here and maybe help? If your bike list is up to date (KDX/DT) then any KTM will be a complete revelation, I kid you not... :whoa:

Have you thought about the EXE FULL enduro spec' (unless the names are different in the US?) with the full proper roadkit with decent light's for when you are late home from the trail and blind 4x4/car driver's, horn, large fuel tank, stand, speedo/computor they are IDEAL for HnH, good fun on the road and from where you are coming from you could race it on the MX track if you wish no problem, they have quite stiff suspension std if you like your air!
I came from a super clean low miles '03 KDX-220R to my '06 gassser EC-200 and the difference in overall performance, engine, suspension (wow) lightness, detailing etc made the KDX (and I loved that KDX) seem like a big friendly dinosaur, yes I bought gasser but you could easily transpose Gas Gas for KTM, the new bike experience would be the same they are both very very capable bikes.

Ohh..... if you go 2 stroke KTM ;) you won't worry about the engine they are bombproof reliable. Over here the four strokes MX ones (SX?) if used for trails or HnH have the SX valves changed for the EXE ones...some SX's have been known to drop valve ends? This WAS certainly the case, maybe worth asking about the newest bikes?

cheers

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The EXC line is available here as full street legal model starting with 2007( thought I still have not seen one). Gut they are only available in the larger displacement sizes. And I remember very well the XR600 on tight trails. OK its not anyware near that heavy but I will never buy a heavier bike again. So that why the 250 ( the 200 does still sound nice, due to no valve adjustment)

The owner of the shop suggested that I get the close raitio one if I plan on going anyware near a track. But I'm afraid that the gearing would be a problem on fast trails and back roads.

What kind of suspension mods are available for these, can you mod the forks ans shock to have the adj comp and rebound like the non -W model?

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
kmccune said:
The EXC line is available here as full street legal model starting with 2007( thought I still have not seen one). Gut they are only available in the larger displacement sizes. And I remember very well the XR600 on tight trails. OK its not anyware near that heavy but I will never buy a heavier bike again. So that why the 250 ( the 200 does still sound nice, due to no valve adjustment)
?

Thats' a real shame :( We must be spoilt over here as we have 125, 200 and 300 2 stroke, and you can even get them with an oil injection system (GS?) :nod:

If you like small and light take a look in an EC in action....slow action that is...she looks like a mini-bike and after 3 hours she still feels light...200 KTM's are also very very popular over here as a clubman bike and have similar dimensions (compact/light) they feel that if you get stuck on a hill...well hoof it your back and walk it up :)
KTM 200 was also on my list..well my list WAS short though....either 200 KTM or 200 Gasser..

http://www.imageconsortium.co.uk/Files/ngal5/TnT Peat Hill 13 Aug 06/500+/slides/DSC_1724.html

http://www.imageconsortium.co.uk/Files/ngal5/TnT Peat Hill 13 Aug 06/500+/slides/DSC_3022.html

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
bikesnob said:
kmccune
The 250XC-F is more for racing, while the XC-F-W would be better for trail riding, the XCWs also come with a computer and the forks and shock is plusher.

Its obvious you haven’t ridden either bike...

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
That is what I seek...enlightenment :nod:

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
Wolverine423 said:
bikesnob said:
kmccune
The 250XC-F is more for racing, while the XC-F-W would be better for trail riding, the XCWs also come with a computer and the forks and shock is plusher.

Iven Cervantes would likley resent that statment.lol He won the WEC E1 title on a 250EXCF (US= 250 XCF-W) and is also a top MXer over seas. I pull holshots over 300XCs on my W so does that make 300xcs pit bikes? (NO) LOL there basicly the same bike just geared and suspended for different events. Im glad i got the W as i couldnt use any shorter gearing, the W isnt a true wide ratio.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom