JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I have a '98 KTM 200 that benefited from a simple muffler change. What can I expect if I replace the huge Krizman spark arrestor on my '99 300 E/XC with something like an FMF Power Core II?

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I have an '01 300 MXC with an FMF Power Core 2 silencer. Compared to the stock silencer, my impression is that the power is snappier and livlier with the FMF. This change is particularly noticeable in the low-end and mid-range. The exhaust note is also much raspier, it sounds more like a two-stroke motocross bike with the FMF. Overall, I'm happy with the performance of the FMF and would recommend it if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive, easy bolt-on upgrade. I woudn't say the difference in power delivery is monumental, but it is definitely noticeable.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, the stock spark arrestor is about six feet long, and it weighs 96 pounds--I actually weighed it. At least it feels that heavy. I think I will make the switch. At least if I can't lose any weight, my bike ought to. Thanks.

MAustin

Nov 21, 2001
I have 01 300 EXC and Bob summed it up pretty well. I had a pro rider tell me I should have gotten a pro circuit cause it is a double mount like stock. The FMF is a single mount and will eventually break he said!

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
That's correct. The Power Core II, the non-arrestor version, only utilizes one of the mounts. I looked at mine though, and I seriously doubt that it's an issue to worry about. Mine appears to be mounted very solidly with just the only bolt and it's short and tucked in out of the way so I'm not terribly concerned with it breaking.

pedesktm

Jan 6, 2000
I had one of the earlier version Power Core silencers and the weld that attaches the hanger was suseptable to cracking from the vibration over time. The newer ones utilize a solid piece of aluminum instead of a thin piece doubled over and welded. I did break an older unit but the newer one has lasted me 3 yrs with no signs of fatigue at the weld. I Have the Power Core II on my 99 300 EXC and it will allow your bike to "Breath" better. Definate bottom to mid response improvement. If you ride on "Public" ORV trails, the Turbine core would be the ticket. It has a spark arrestor and provides the same performance gains of the Power Core II silencer.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
FMF SA

I have made the same change to my '00 300 EXC. My take is:

1. Weight savings using the FMF
2. Crisper throttle response off bottom
3. Less spooge.
4. More noise.

I recently rode two enduros here in No. Calif. where the gendarmes were performing sound checks. At the first enduro the meter was placed a set distance, I think 20" from the exhaust end, and the throttle was increased to approximately 500-1,000 rpm. My exhaust note registered 99 decibels. The second enduro, they used the same distance measure, but left the bike idling. My exhaust note registered 93 decibels.

In the first enduro a number of people, particularly those with YZ400/426's, were not allowed to ride because they were too loud. I believe the cutoff is 102 decibels. I know that my stock exhaust would easily pass either test format. I am deliberating whether it would be the best thing to put back on the stock system to insure passing sound tests. The difference in performance is not significant enough to gamble for me. It is unfortunate that there is no standard here for the sound test as this will be a regular part of our riding requirement from now on. :mad:

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Just slightly louder, but not raspy. I think it is a better setup in all respects compared to the stocker. Plus its surface is not anodized like the stocker so one can polish it, if one was into those sort of things...;)

Top Bottom