DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
Is this model too aggressive for a first-timer? The guy at the dealer just gave me the blanket statement of "those are high maintenance race bikes" (KTM minis). Granted they're mainly a Honda dealer and he'd probably prefer to sell the CRF50. Looking at the KTM model lineup this one seems to be the entry level model, with plenty of 50's above it. Is it truly beyond the realm of an absolute beginner?
Thanks!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
depending on the age and prerequisites of the rider , i started my nephews on an electric 200$ pocket rocket so they would understand twisting the throttle , brakes , and most importantly they had the ability to go fast enough to get hurt with little effort. i think kids dont realize that just because they didnt have to work to get up to speed it is still going to hurt. a short while on that and they jumped right on the LEM , which is comparable to the entry level KTM......their ages , almost 4 and almost 5 . the youngest is a wildman, blackened a fingernail and a toenail , lost em both . continues to be fearless :coocoo:

edit: sorry i was thinking of the pro jr with the lem, im not familiar with the mini adventure

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll agree it totally depends on the kid. The mini adventure is the mildest KTM but still significantly more aggressive than a JR50/PW50. If the child is reasonably large/strong and not real timid then it might work OK, on the other hand if they are not to sure about the riding gig then this might be a sure way to turn them off. My son moved to a full on race KTM nin after 2 years on a PW50 and was joyous but I don't know that would have been the case with that bike as a starter.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
If the kid's tall enough to easily reach the ground, I would go for the KTM. It has real suspension and you can always limit the throttle travel if you need to tone it down a bit.

The Mini Adventure is in no way a high maintenance bike.

On the other hand, the four stroke engine and three speed gearbox of the Honda make it tempting.

Good luck.

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a PW/JR sounds like the best way to start. Resale on them is excellent should he outgrow it quick or (god forbid) not like it :)

Thanks

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
How old and how big is the kid? The PW50 is probably the best beginner bike for a smaller kid. If the kid is bigger, I would consider the Mini Adventure.

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
He's very big for his age and the earliest I'd consider would be around 3yrs old. Other articles/forums I've read had me thinking to wait longer. Then I stopped into a dealer yesterday and the guy there actually started his son at 2! Sounds kinda extreme, but I guess if it's all done safely and the kid enjoys it, what's the harm? The kid in question is now 7 and an awesome rider, so.....

I'm not lookin' to spawn the next Ricky Carmichael nor force onto him something I enjoy. My son is just enamored by motorcycles and bored with his little electric quad. We've got a 1/3 acre flat, square of cr@ppy lawn way out back that he can have his way on. Oh, and my brother-in-law has a Bobcat and offered to build a little track :nod:

Just something that I would've been THRILLED to have when I was a kid, and I only hope the same for him.

And regardless of size, I'm gonna go for a PW/JR, as I think a mellow intro would be best. Better to have to trade up than scare him away for good.

Thanks for all the feedback.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
At 7, he is probably too big for the PW50. You might consider the CRF50 or even the PW 80. My daughter started on the PW80 at 6, after a while she got tired of riding for a couple of years, but now she wants to ride again. If you do go with the PW80, begin using second gear, acceleration is milder for beginners.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you'll be on the pw50 for a few months max then you'll move on. the KTM mini adv is too small for any 7 yr old I've seen. go for the SR adventure or one of the polini recreational models. I would not describe either of the Adventure models high maintenance RACE bikes. The Pro JR or SR yes. If you want to race there are better choices but you can read other posts on my thoughts there.
The honda is a good beginner bike because the power band is so linear. Same with the pw. it basically has a anit power band. The honda is SUPER heavy and has crap for suspension. The PW is not that heavy but still sports crap suspension. As soon as you jump either you'll be needing to move up to a better bike. Unless you want to race I'd move to the KTM or Polini 65. Better suspension and nice powerband for a 65. I know some guys are going to freak about reccomending a 65 but its very reasonable to have the little guys ride one. My 6 yr old(December B-Day) is riding a cobra 65 and doing quite well. He cannot touch but figured out how to dismount the bike without falling over in a weekend. He races the 50's but is learining on the 65.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom