KTM 50 sx sr will only idle at high rpm

coupleofyzs

Mar 26, 2007
I have a 2002 KTM 50 senior liquid cooled.
Im haveing trouble keeping it running,it will start fine but i have to keep the revs high for it to stay running,if i let off the gas,even slowly,it just dies,kind of like its starving for air.
It has 125 psi,but i noticed that the plug was wet,i tried several different plugs during my trouble shooting and they were all wet,i also noticed gas coming out of the crankcase overflow(KTM 50s have an overflow just under the reed assy)so i took out the reed and did notice a gap which i attributed to the wet plugs as gas was filling up into my crankcase,which i also kind of figured why i could only keep it running at high idle to burn all the excess gas pouring through the reed.(i could have been just flooding it out as well)
anyway i also inspected the stator and flywheel and noticed a fair bit of rust and kind of a coating over everything that could be from several hours of maybe a small antifreeze leak misting my flywheel and stator so i also cleaned that out with carb cleaner and air and used some fine emery sandpaper to clean the fly wheel.I also took apart the carb and cleaned it thoroughly
so i bought and installed new reeds and as i put the new ones on i noticed it had about the same gap as my old reeds,so i used some loctite blue on the tiny bolts and played with the tightness to get the best fit with the least gap,I put it all together and its still doing the same thing.
I dont know what else to try.Is my reed cage worn out??can that happen?Do i need a carb kit?Is my stator or cdi cutting out or not working properly(sometimes there is a small back fire when it would bog out and die)
HELP!!!
Thanks everyone in advance
Tony

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom