pitbetty

May 6, 2002
What are the horsepower numbers on these two bikes? Which would be better for flattracking? We have a kx 60 now. Should we get new? Any opinions?

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Not sure about flat tracking, but the KTM has 2 more hp (15) over the KX (13) in stock trim. You can also get more HP out of the KTM vs. the KX as well.

But it really all comes down to the rider and if he's willing to twist the grip.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
13 seems pretty low. We 12.2? out of a stock 50cc Cobra.
But KTMDAD is right it really depends on the rider preference. also what type of dealer support you have locally. You can fine bad delaers from both brands. Here in Az there is a pretty even mix of KTM and KX65 up front. Not nearly as many total KTM's in the lineup though.
Either way the KX65 and the SX65 are both worlds better than the KX60 from suspension standpoint. Not sure how that would affect flat tracking though.

XC250

Mar 6, 2002
I just bought my son the 03 RM65, its a KX with yellow plastic and it says Suzuki on it. I call it my Suzuki KX, manufactured by Kawasaki and the title says its a Kawasaki RM. (LOL)
Anyway I got a Kawasaki Race Performance Bulletin showing how to improve the performance of the KX65 motor, modifying the ports, cutting down the flywheel and extending the pipe, it also lists a part number for a new pipe if you don't want to cut and extend the stock pipe. Send me an email and I can scan the bulletin and share.

Steve

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I'm interested in this information as well. Still haven't made the decision on the KTM or Suzuki yet. Kaw dealer is out of 65's so no way on them. Will make up my mind in a week or two. Going to visit the KTM guys again and see what they have in stock for parts. The suzuki guy seem to have a bunch of stuff already.

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
When my son get's used to his 60 we are going for a 65. I've heard alotta bad things about kx's cranks going out. Wonder if the KTM's suffer the same problem. One thing I do lke about the KTM is the lack of rear suspension linkage. Just seems like less to worry about. Also anyone know the weight differance between these 2 bikes?

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Haven't heard of any cranks going out on the KTM 65's. Unless someone got water or dirt in the crank case. It's a good thing regardless of which bike you have or get to check the crank tolerances when you do your 1st top end. They are not always correct from the factory.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have a friend with a 2002 KX 65. This bike is incredible. I believe it might be slower than the ktm, but you folks would be amazed at how dependable this bike is. It has been maintained well, but it made it a year on the original top end! I almost freaked when they told me that. We changed the piston and rings. The looked good.

It is hard to chose a kids bike. Most of the time they are so thrilled to be riding you get so little feedback on what they like and do not like.

CR500R

Nov 24, 2000
I just tore down my son's 2002 KX-65. The top end was perfect, crank...perfect. Rebuilt top end - Weisco kit , New Clutch.

Raced the bike stock with boyeson reeds ALL YEAR !

In the last races of the season he was still getting top 3 starts out of 40 riders.

Reeds were warped a little so I know the low end was not all there.

Sent cylinder and head to Eric Gore and WOW! What a difference!

Huge Low end and Mid hit now. My son loves it !

The KX rocks !

I also lightened the flywheel according to team green specs. (10.00 at local machine shop.) http://www.teamgreennews.ca/pdf/RS02-03.pdf

Looking forward to a "top 3" in 2003!

CR500R

Top Bottom