YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
I've 90% made up my mind to get a KTM. Only problem is where to buy one. This will only be the second bike I've ever purchased, and my first experience wasn't all that hot. So I'm looking for some info on any dealers where you had a good experience, or a bad one so I can stay away from them. I went to Malcom Smith's in Riverside and Bert's in Covina yesterday. Both were okay, but I'd like to hear about any experiences you have had.
Oh, by the way, I'm looking for a 400 or 520 exc-g. Thanks!

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Well, for those bikes you know that you will be paying full retail plus the ussual fees. As for finding one, now that's a quest in it's self. If Malcolm's has one on the floor, you better buy it today, otherwise it will probably be gone. My buddy bought his MXC from them with no negative feedback. From what I know, Wilson's in fresno is the wrong place to buy as well as I have heard one or two negative things about Lemon Grove Motorcycles in San Diego. I bought my 02 400 EXC from North County Yamaha in the crate and saved a couple hundred on the set-up fees otherwise full retail. I have been buying from them for about 5 years with nothing negative to say. But when I was in there about a week ago, they were saying that there are only a few more units being shipped throughout Cali and they are gonna go to those on waiting lists.

Now if you don't mind getting a red sticker bike, your best bet is to buy from out of state. You can save thousands by doing this. If you don't register the bike for a few months, you can also avoid the Cali sales gouge, I mean tax. There are many places out in the desert where you can ride a red bike year round. The only place I can think of that will be a hassle in the SoCal area is Gorman, which has rangers at the gate, unless you ride mid week, then there are none except for maintanance folks.

Good luck!

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Actually, they did have a 400 on the floor, but it was already sold. I asked the guy if they had any more, but he said he didn't know. After asking him to check, he started telling me that the sales manager wasn't there, and he doesn't know, and generally telling me he didn't want to sell to me. Now, I don't think thats what everyone there's like, but I didn't feel like begging him to sell me a bike. Maybe I need to start begging?:confused: The green sticker on the exc's is what pushed me over to the KTM's, so I'm kind of limited in my choices.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Try KTM of Mojave; I've heard from the ThumperTalk guys they are a good dealer. Go to the KTM websiteto find their tel. #.

You might want to consider the new Husky RFS.

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Okay, so I started begging. Just got off the phone with a Malcom Smith sales guy. They have 1 400 exc-g, $7400. Guy wants 698 set up, 600 tax, what do you think, is this fair? I know there's not going to be too much dealing on these, but I just want a fair price. I'm going to try to get there tonight.

With the Husky's and Husaberg's, how do they compare price wise? parts availibility? Thanks.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Well, that's $600 more than I paid from NCY for the same bike. Try and get him to reduce the F/S charge by a couple Hun and see what he says. Otherwise it really is up to you if you want to spend that much. If the magic stickers means that much to you then go for it. You are not gonna find very many more left and they WILL sell that bike in the next day or two Period!

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Yeah, thats pretty much what I thought. So, are there any extras that I should not leave the shop without? I was thinking maybe some oil filters, a manual, stuff like that, but any other ideas?

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Call Lori at KTM of Mojave. They quoted me a 200 EXC price that was $500 less than one of the other dealers you mentioned and she told me you get 10% off parts going forward. Check it out. She was super nice.

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
I tried both of those places; Z racing I couldn't get anyone to answer, and at Mojave I must have had the wrong number because it said it was out of service. I'll try both again today.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
It's my understanding KTM of Mojave sells at list but does not charge a setup fee but they do an oustanding job of setting them up. All they sell are KTM's and they are very nice. I've bought some parts from them since thay are the way when I go to Red Mountain.

tonyc

Nov 7, 2001
When you talk about set up on the bikes, what exactly do you mean?
Here in New Zealand the bike shops I deal with don't charge set up, but then they might not do the setting up that the shops do in the US. They have a retail price and thats it, aprt from discounts they give off that.
The last 2 KTM's I have bought I have recieved them still crated and assembled them my self.
I would rather set the bikes up myself as I know what I want.

On the subjest of bike shops in SoCal I have delt with Z Racing on the phone and in person on trips to the US and find them very helpful.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
Set up in the US varies. The good dealers will tighten everything (with lock tite where needed), fill all fluids, start it, Make sure everything is true (spokes etc) and adjust suspension preload and controls for the buyer. A few go farther than this and will rejet after breakin, offer extended warrentees, grease all pivot points, and recheck the bike after breakin as part of the setup. If you can get a bike in crate and don't mind turning a wrench it may be worth the money saved. If they charge you $600 and barely get the wheels on right you're getting ripped off. It's worth asking what they do.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
8700.00$ (OTD) sounds about par for Malcolm's. You may get them to drop a few hundred, but I wouldn't expect to get a "deal"....

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Well guys, I got it. A meeting was cancelled at work, so I took off to Malcom's. Made it there about an hour before closing. The bike I got was actually the same one I saw on Sunday, but it had a sold tag on it. Guess the other guy changed his mind. Anyways, it came out to right about $8300. Everywhere else I called wouldn't be getting any until "maybe sometime around the end of March." So I'll be going through it this week, making sure everythings tight, getting familiar with everything. Thanks for all the help, I hope it keeps coming when I start to ask a bunch of stupid questions! :D (guess I may have to change my screen name)

Last edited:

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
Congrats on the new ride. You might want to checkout the message board at holeshotktm.com it has a ton of info for KTM owners.

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
got to agree with ktm of mojave. great mom and pop dealer (literally). they
set up my 2000 520 exc even though i didn't buy it from him (had to get it from out of state at the time). lori runs the store. her husband sam runs the mechanical side of things. he has many years experience with ktms. buddy of mine has 520 exc g on order and is paying 8200 out the door fyi.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
You got the same deal almost every other Cali buyer got. You are also one of the lucky late season buyers for getting it. Are you planning on doing some racing? On the 24th there is the Checkers MC Hare & Hound out at Lucerne/Bessemer Mine Rd. Break that bad boy in and get your arse out there !!! :aj:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Congrats Andrew, Thats were I got mine and they really are pretty desent people. The same thing happened with mine,some guy bought it, cancelled it, then bought again,then cancelled, they knock off setup fees just so I would get it the hell out of there before the guy came back again. :cool:

Give the checkers race ( or any for that matter )a thought, they are a blast

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Thanks guys. I keep finding myself going out to the garage just to look at it. I'm going to take my sister to El Mirage Saturday, so I'll be breaking it in then. Racing, well we'll have to see about that. I'll probably need some time to get used to the new bike; I'm coming off a yz125, so there's probably a big difference with the KTM. I'll be looking for a skid plate, handguards, pick up some oil filters........anything else you guys recommend?

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Click on the eRider logo and get all the guards they have. I got the clutch slave, rear disc, rubber mounted chain guide, lower Heim housing guard and a 13 tooth CS sprocket. Along with Metal, not plastic hand guards get a skid plate. For all the eRider stuff, I spent $161 and the rest was factored in to my purchase price.

As far a jetting goes, try to get an OCEMN needle or OBDTM which is the stock 49 state model. For the time being, move the needle clip down to the bottom clip and turn the fuel screw out to 1.5 turns from seated. This should hold you over till you get the needles. And stay away from Holeshot KTM! Lots of horror stories. Just look under the flame board and see what I mean.

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Yeah, right after I posted, I looked through the eRider stuff. Nice looking parts. With the Heim housing, is it the mudflap that cuts it?
You must be a mind reader, I was just thinking about jetting. I've never messed with a motorcycle carb before, so I really appreciate your advice. When I open up the carb to make adjustments, will I need to replace the gaskets? I've been looking through the manual, is the fuel screw the one that the book says you need the special tool for? I'll see if the dealer can get the needles, if not, I'll do a search for somewhere to order them from. Thanks again!

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
The mud flap has two ridges on it that will cut into the bearing housing. A cheap solution is to cut the right side ridge off flush with the flap and then put a coating of JB Weld on the bearing housing where the flap hits it. I did that to mine and you can hardly see a scuff mark on the JB Weld.

Top Bottom