MasonW947

Nov 20, 2006
Well I've had my 2003 KTM 250 EXC for long enough to get about five good rides in on it. Everythings been fine but the gas gets eat up real fast... Anyways, I set the bike up on the swing arm stand and the thing fell over in the grass... no biggie. I get done cleaning it and decide to fire it up and warm the moisture out. I kick it over a couple times to realise the concrete below me is very slick. It turns out the gas is pouring out of the bottom of the bike. About 9-10 kicks in and not realising it was leaking was enough to drain a WHOLE TANK! I looked to see where the gas was coming from, but the only thing I can see is that its dripping off right where the shift lever connects to the bike. If I turn the gas off at the petcock, the leaking will subside, where as if I leave it on, it slowly drips, and if I kick it over it just wants to pour out. Someone please help me... I'm going to be perma-pissed off until this mofo is fixed :|

MasonW947

Nov 20, 2006
Problem solved. Theres a green hose that comes out of the carb and into something again. Only the hose is melted in the center, thus pouring gas out when I open the lines. :)

MasonW947

Nov 20, 2006
Okay theres a hose coming out of the carb... Its the one leaking gas. It has a metal nipple coming out of the carb and fits into the hose to hold it on. The hose is coming out of the carb facing the rear. Its almost at the bottom of the carb and near the rear tire.

Now I cant tell if this hose is a drain hose or if it has just melted off of one of the hoses thats near it. Theres another hose that comes out of the top of the carb and runs down where the drain hoses are.. although i cant tell if this too is a drain hose or if its suppose to hook in where that nipple is.

I could just run a new hose from the top of the carb, replacing the existing hose and run it into the nipple, but I dont want to mess anything up. Any ideas?

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
The carb will have a fuel supply from the tank (larger tube) and the rest are overflow or vent tubing and dangle down below the frame.

Did you get the leak to stop?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Be sure you are seeing what you think you are seeing.
Normally the only gas leak you will encounter is if the petcock isn't sealing completely.
Take it off and apart, and clean it up well.
You may also want to check that your float isn't stuck, and that it's set properly.
These things require that you have a manual, and that you have at least a small bit of understanding of what you are getting into.

MasonW947

Nov 20, 2006
i dont have a manual or a small understanding on how to clean and re-assemble the petcock or check my needle. will someone please explain?

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Need answers

dezryder said:
The carb will have a fuel supply from the tank (larger tube) and the rest are overflow or vent tubing and dangle down below the frame.

Did you get the leak to stop?

If the leak is still present, what you further described sounds like the overflow tube coming from the bottom of the float bowl. If this is the culprit, then the float may be stuck, or you may have a worn float needle/seat. Take a screw driver handle and tap the carb where the float bowl mounts to the carb. Try that a few times. If it stops your good to go for now. If not, it's time to go inside.

A message to you and anyone else here that wants to work on their bikes themselves, but don't have a clue what to do:

Get out there and purchase a SHOP MANUAL!!! For the most part, they are worth their weight in gold. My 2 cents.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I hope you got my point

Mason.

If it stops your good to go for now. There's a message in that sentence. It is the fact that you're good to go FOR NOW.

Floats should not stick. There's a reason for it abd you should look into it sooner than later.

Glad to have helped you with the problem. But you would be wise to follow the advice in the last sentence of my previous post as well. You just put a band-aid on it for now.

FYI, since there is more than likely sediment in the float bowl, at least take the the drain plug out to drain the float bowl. That's probably 3 cents worth by now. :nod:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom