Geolguy

Apr 16, 2003
My 2002 KTM 200 EXC is well broke in... been to a "specialized tuner" once for jetting and it still drools oil out of the exhaust. After a couple hours of moderate speed desert riding or woods for that matter there will be thick oil all around the exhaust hole and draining back down the pipe.... sometimes it drips onto the rim. I have yet to replace a spark plug so doesn't foul and the bike never misses a beat while riding.

Is this a jetting problem? It is moderately hard to start when cold.. maybe kick it 20 times. I am using a 40:1 mix fuel. I usually ride at sea level to elevation 1500 feet.

Thanks

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Yes, it's not jetted the best but no one can help you because you didn't give us any info on the current jetting, temps, or elevation.

Most likely it has a triple taper needle. If so, they almost always spooge unless you are on the pipe all of the time.

Please get that info and post back.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by Geolguy

Is this a jetting problem? It is moderately hard to start when cold.. maybe kick it 20 times. I am using a 40:1 mix fuel. I usually ride at sea level to elevation 1500 feet.
Thanks

How long have you been kicking 20 times to start when it's cold? Start with a compression test.

Geolguy

Apr 16, 2003
Im back with the jetting details

It is a 2002 KTM 200exc. It was rejetting by an "expert" using 45/NOZG-2/180. And like I said it drools heavy around pipe opening sometimes dripping down onto the rim. I typically ride at 500 to 1,000 feet and 60 degree temps. It has the stock spark plug (BE8ECM) and never has fouled.

One other question.. I am currently running 40:1 mix. Is that right? and any recommendations on the type of premix oil to use?

Thank you

Geolguy

Apr 16, 2003
Ok here is the jetting ... 45/NOZG-2/180 I typically ride at 500 to 1000 feet elevation at 60 degree temps (Western Washington). I use the stock needle and stock plug which is a BE8ECM

THanks!!

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Try a DDK needle in the 2nd position. It's a single taper needle that's leaner than your NOZG. The fuel you are running is probably pump gas. Pump gas has high distillation temps so you end up passing a lot of unburnt fuel with a two stroke engine. The correct race fuel really helps reduce the spooge.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I'd try a DDK or DDJ around the 3rd clip. You may want to try a 182 main. Generally you richen the main by 2 sizes when you go from a triple taper needle (NOZG) to a single taper.

You can get the needles from Sudco or Carbparts Warehouse.

Good luck.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Geolguy,
What type of riding are you doing? Singletrack, 4x trails, track, open stuff? Reiter, Walker, Tahuya, Capitol, Tracks only?

James Dean, Little Jeff, Tahuya Rat and myself all ride Ktm's in wetstream WA, I seem to recall others but i don't remember everyone. Thats 3 250's and a 300 plus a rfs400 that I know of. Abilities range from modest to experienced vet. !'m going to take a deliberately wild guess based on the needle setting you posted and the complaint about goo that you are spending a fair amount of time at 1/4 throttle.

The single taper needles are much easier to get dialed in for clean running but a 50/50 mix of race gas may be required to control pinging and run on. Needles DCJ,DCK,DDK,DDJ,CEJ,CEK should cover the offroad applications pretty well. I would start with a ddj-3 or a ddk-3 a go from there. The dc_ -3 series is 1/2 clip richer and the dc_-2 will be 1/2 clip leaner. The cek-4 will be the same at mid throttle openings as the nozg-2 but will be significantly leaner at 1/4 throttle and 3/4 to full throttle (two mains or so) than the nozg-2. The CEK-4 will be slightly richer than the ddk-3 up to 3/8 throttle and slightly leaner above for comparison.

The advice about raising main jets a size or two when changing to single taper needles is practical to avoid sticking a piston. You will want to start rich and go lean one step a time and watch for signs of leanness such as knocking,pinging run on and overheating. Take good notes and watch temps as the temp will have a significant effect on your jetting.

That's not a $100 "do this and it will work answer" but jetting depends a lot on the feel the individual rider is looking for so I hope thats enough info to get you started. There are some other OEM needles that cost considerably more but to start the single tapers should get you very close.

Geolguy

Apr 16, 2003
Yep I do spend alot of time at 1/4 throttle come to think of it. Should I be winding this machine up more in a lower gear?

I ride mainly Capitol and Tahuya (trails) and Monroe and TriCities (track). Latest was the desert 100 at odessa but I believe I was at 1/4 throttle quite a bit. Higher revs seem to make it more "jerky" to deal with. Again, should I have this machine opened up a bit more for normal riding? I am not sure if I can change my riding style though (old dog) :)

Thanks all for the responses.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Not necessary to change your style.

Change your jetting to suit your style and conditions. You will probably like the single taper needles better for trail riding.

Top Bottom