overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Does everyone leave there forks set factory in the triple clamps.my sons bike seems like doesnt corner very well unless he almost on top of the tank.Any suggestions for his 200exc.Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I always ran mine way up, so much so that I would often crack the plastic adjuster knob on the Mag 45's so I kept a spare on hand most of the time.

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
I sorry but I dont understand how far that is.I am assuming you mean move them up as far as you can.I have heard moving them up will help is why I am asking,but at the same time I have heard also moving them up to far makes a shake at high speeds.please respond.

ktmrandy

Apr 4, 2002
You can push the forks up in the triple clamps until they hit the handlebars. This will help the low speed handling at the expense of high speed stability. To solve the inability of the ktm's to carve tight turns you need to buy the offset triple clamps. This will give you tight turning ability and stability.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You'll kind of need to experiment with where they are place to find a happy medium. I was just giving an extreme example of what I liked. I'd try and moce them about half way and see it that works for ya', if not move them all the way up. If that works but causes high speed issues then invest in the triple clamp swap and start the process over.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My 125sx will not tolerate the forks up too high. I run them at 2-3mm's above the clamps now and it works nicely. 7 mm's and the front shakes like crazy with 5th pinned. (very scarey)
Arenacross I set them about 5mm's.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Don't do anything to the forks untill you've gotten a couple hundred miles on them. They will get noticeably softer, puting more weight on the front end and causing better turning. Also, setting the rear suspension sag is just as important. You could spend thousands on suspension work and triple clamps and your bike won't handle as well as my stock 200 with the proper shock-sag adjustment.
I have the right sag and my forks are pulled up only about 7mm. My front end sticks in any turn even with the stock tire.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Might want to set your fork sag as well as the shock. Just as important, if not more in this instance.

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
I know that rear is supposed to be 90-100 but not sure on how and what to set the front at.Thanks again for all the responses.

superfly

Dec 2, 2001
Before you waste any money on 18 mm T-clamps, check out what Gary Emig has to say about offsets at www.emigracing.com.
You'll be surprised. I run 22's and it works WAY better. 10x more stable and it didn't sacrifice turning ability at all.

KTM Kev

Aug 6, 2002
I have an MXC250 and I set the rear sag by the book. Take the time and put an o-ring on your front fork (either one). Then check the static sag (on the stand - off the stand - on again) without putting weight on the bars. See if the oring moved 10mm or so. Much more than that and your simply not using all the travel.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom