KTM Top End?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
There may be a couple of new KTMs added to the stable this year but I have a dumb question. I remember a post by Strick I believe about top end jobs on KTMs. It sounded like a top end job on a KTM was quite a bit more involved on a KTM???? Something about squish bands/gaskets or something. What is the deal and how much more complicated is it really? What extra tools if any are required? If anyone has or knows of a place with 'detailed' info I would love to check it out. Also - Anyone have objective views of the pros/cons between the 400MXC and the 380EXC? Thanks.

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
KTM is not much different. Squish band is in the head and you don't have to worry about anything just put a new topend in it like a jap. It may be different bolt's but other than that they look the same.

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
TTRguy,

It is different! It is not any harder, you just have to make sure that the settings are correct (base gasket thickness & power valve height - X & Z dimensions). The only extra tool you will need is a $10 set of slide calipers to set the power valve should you take it apart. Once you've done one top end the rest are a breeze!

TTRguy - You are going from a TTR to a 380!!!:think WOW!
If you are thinking about the 400rfs, you should think out the 300 2-stroke (IMHO). If you do get them, orange will quickly become your favorite color (say hi to gsr for me).

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
Thanks Strick

Thats what I remember you guys all talking about, Thanks Strick. If we end up getting a KTM or two I may have to refer back to you. Kiwi is trying to talk me into the 520 :) Too many great bikes to choose from!

"Say hi to GSR for you"

?? Don't you mean punch her in the arm? Hehehe...

I will.

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
NO punch in the arm. Because the next person she gets to punch me might hit harder than Bobby did! TTR- I won't be any help on that thumper!