Jan 17, 2005
Do you guys think a KX 100 would be enough bike for me, I'm 5-9, 160 pounds. I'm a decent rider but haven't owned a bike in a long time. The reason I'm thinking of the KX100 is I had a chance to ride a KDX220 and a CRF150 at Hollister and could actually ride faster in a lot of places on the CRF 150, because of the good handling. However, it didn't have enough power and there is practially no suspension. That led me to consider the KX100. I assume it has a lot more power than the CRD150 and the suspension looks pretty trick. Any other adult men ride this?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you'd be better off with a 125 two stroke more than the kx 100. You will get bored of it rather quick. If you want good low end you can also look at the 250 four strokes like the yz250f or something along those lines. the 100 will more than likely bore you rather quickly

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
You'd definitely be too tall for the KX100. I'm a little cramped on it as it is and I'm 5'4".

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Just get a 250 two stroke. Why you ask? Every bike has a throttle, I used to have a Hayabusa, you don't have to 180mph everywhere you go. The power is definetly there, and as far as rebuilds and maintenance go, it is easy and cheap. The biggest thing I have found with dirtbikes is keeping them clean and doing "light maintenance" when you ride. Clean them, adjust the chain, change the plugs before they foul out every third ride or so, adjust spokes, clean the air filter, change the tranny oil, and every now and again lube the cables when you remember or fall over in a creek. It sounds like alot but you can do all this a day or two after you ride in an hour and half. Besides it gets you out of the house to drink a beer and maybe burn a cigarette or two if that is your thing. Remember, even a top fuel drag cars have a throttle.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Oh yeah, you can get a used one on the cheap because almost everyone is in the four stroke craze. I believe they are good if you have alot of time or money or both, but for the average trail riding fartin around with his buddies at the track, you can't beat a two stroke for the above mentioned reasons.

Jan 17, 2005
Yeah I agree with what you are saying. More power is generally better because you can always just lay off the throttle. I just was thinking of the smaller bike for flickability. I guess a 100 is sorta weenie for a grown man?

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
Well, for being such a small bike, it sure has a heck of a lot of power! I weigh 175 and it pulls me around just fine, even feels like its going to rip my arms off if I'm not paying attention! :D If you're just looking for flickability, it'll definitely fit the bill but if you think you'll be riding it for any extended time, you'll probably wish for more cockpit room. I'm struggling with that right now as I feel like I can't stand up w/o feeling like I'm going to fall over the front of the bike. Its an absolute blast to ride though!!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I'm 5'8" and I'm quite comfy on my 125, it's just a little tall some of the time, but really not a problem. I too am going for a 250 this year ( 2 stroke of course)! When I see the required maintenance and money involved with the 4 strokes I just can't imagine getting one for going out and having fun with my friends!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I'm about 160 plus my gear. That is probably just about right for the stock suspension. I did soften up both ends since I'm not the fastest rider. The harder I ride the bike the better the suspension works. But I have plenty of room to make it softer yet if I wanted to for tight woods and such, but I mostly ride wide open areas.

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
The rear suspension sags a fair amount, maybe an inch or a little over. I don't feel like it wallows or anything and its good on both the track and trails. The front is actually pretty stiff so its great on an MX track but I'd really like to soften it up for trails otherwise I feel like I'm getting bounced around like a pinball.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Midnight Rambler said:
Yeah I agree with what you are saying. More power is generally better because you can always just lay off the throttle. I just was thinking of the smaller bike for flickability. I guess a 100 is sorta weenie for a grown man?

Dude, don't ever look down upon what you want to ride. If it makes you happy, get it. I am just saying that you aren't 12 and immature, if you get a bigger bike you can grow with it. If you get a smaller bike then out grow it you are screwed.

Small bikes are a blast to ride. If I get a chance, wich has only happened twice. I love to ride an EX250, wich is a street bike. Light, manuverable, and you just rev the snot out of to make it feel like you are going the speed of light.

If you get a 100 and like it, then f>>K what everyone else says. Just get a ride and have fun. I just think that the 250 two stoke is the way to go as far as maintenance and power and potential. You can go the four stroke way, just read up on some of the post about cost of maintenance before you commit. They do seem to be the hands down favorite as far as rideability goes. If you have the bank roll.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
tyesai said:
Small bikes are a blast to ride.

That is true, for sure. You can change springs on a KX100 and have it work fine for you, rather than sag badly. One nice thing about them is they're small. You can touch the ground easily. They're very light. And it makes it a lot easier to force your will on it, unlike a 250, for example. Look at the current "50" craze with the Honda Z/XR/CRF50 machines. Adults all over are riding them. A KX100 is like a Z50 on steroids.

I wouldn't mind having one myself (KX100) to play with.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Funny thing is, up untill the mid nineties or so, there was an 80cc adult circuit that was quite popular in parts of Europe. Generally these were 125 framed bikes with 80cc motors. KTM/TM and Gas Gas all offered models. Most were designed for the European format of enduro riding. I think that the class still has a following on a regional level in some countries

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I bought an RM80 which weighed like 150 pounds or so when I was in high school. At the time, I was about 5'11" and 180 lbs. I just got a good deal on it and it was a blast. For just playing around on the farm and jumping the driveway, etc it was great fun. If you ever got into trouble, you could literally just stand up, grab the frame and turn the bike around (or I even carried it a short way once). Now did I look cool? Beats me, but I had a blast on the little thing.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You sound the right size for a KDX or 200EXC but you mention handling. Was the handling on the KDX bad or do you plan to ride MX. Im the basicly the same size as you and i moved UP from an 85. The 200's are a blast for playing around, trails, and light track riding.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
It all depends how you ride. If you are just going to putt around then it would be ok. But if you plan on doing any jumping then definately not. My nephew has one and when I ride it I'm a little cramped up and sitting on the very back of the seat. I'm 5'-8" 165 lbs which is too much for the stock spring when it comes to jumping which I don't like to do on it because when I stand, I'm hunched over the bars. It feels way too small for any serious riding after getting off my kdx200. The kx100 like all mini mx'ers lack low end torque for climbing but is better than the 80's because of the power valve and you can change sprockets to gear it down. A ten ounce flywheel weight does a nice job of smoothing out the power band hit so you don't loose traction. I must admit, the kx100 is a blast to ride. It's light weight and it will scoooot!!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
125. I'm 5'4" and I manage just fine on my RM. If you want a lower, more flickable bike, you can always cut the seat foam and gain an inch that way. You can cut the (rear) subframe and gain 1/2 inch to an inch. You can raise the forks in the clamps and gain a little bit (but this will affect handling).

Finally, you can have internal suspension work done to lower the suspension. There'a cool picture in Eric Gorr's book of Rich Rohrich's YZF - it looks like its lowered about 3 inches from stock!

I haven't done any of this stuff (although I think the subrame was already cut when I got the bike) and I've been able to do alright on the track. The woods are a little harder because of off-camber corners and such.

I just found a guy who is selling me a seat that's been cut for $30 shipped!

Jan 10, 2006
I have a KX100 and KX250 and I ride the KX100 about 70% of the time. I am 32 years old, 5'10 and 215lbs and have a blast on the little bike. It pulls hard enough and jumps great. I do have a 250 to get on when the extreme is what I need but if I had to have only one of the two, I would get the kx100. I ride for fun, not to race mx and the kx100 is just more fun. :laugh:

You can all start throwing stones at me now :fft:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
thing2_and_thing1 said:
You can all start throwing stones at me now :fft:

No way dude! To each his own - I'm sure I would be more comfortable on a 100 myself, but for racing purposes, I wanted the 125. . . If I weren't racing, I'd probably be on a KX100 as well . . .

Wait, maybe I could drop a 144 motor in a 100 frame . . . :laugh:

Jan 10, 2006
Wait, maybe I could drop a 144 motor in a 100 frame . . . :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Can this be done? I have given much thought to putting my 100 motor on a shifter cart and putting a 125 in the 100 frame just to surprise a few people at the sand pitts. :coocoo:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
thing2_and_thing1 said:
Can this be done? I have given much thought to putting my 100 motor on a shifter cart and putting a 125 in the 100 frame just to surprise a few people at the sand pitts. :coocoo:

Anything can be done . . . but I doubt it would bolt right up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom