Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
Greetings
I went to look at a 2000 KX 125 tonight, and need some input on a problem it has.

It won't start in gear, and sometimes dies if you put it in gear without giving it some throttle. It still started, rode and shifted great, just that little hickup.

The owner/seller said that it had worked pretty flawlessly before he put it up for sale, and that he wasn't sure what it was, if it just needs to be adjusted or if something is hooped(he also mentioned he was now unsure about $$$ because of it).

I'm hoping you that someone might be able to give me some input as to how this might need to be fixed: if it would be adjusted out, or if parts need to be replaced.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Most of the bikes I have ridden stall when you put them in gear if you don't give them a little rev, especially when cold. Not starting in gear is a bit more of a problem. First, make sure the freeplay in the clutch lever is set to the proper amount. If the clutch still drags and it really bothers you, pull the clutch cover and take a look. Notching on the basket or warped plates are the usual causes of these problems. Also, check the reeds as they are a common cause of difficult starting or not starting in gear.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
Would you think this would be a big enough problem to look elsewhere?

Right now it seems like a quirk I could get used to, but if it would become a serious problem it'd defonitely need fixing. The bike has a few other little issue that need to be sorted out(busted brake lever and a leaking fuel cut, nothing complicated to fix). But they will defonitly let me talk the guy down $$$ wise.

Sorry if this turned into a "which Bike" thread

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Clutches are expensive, $200-250 for the basket alone. But, they are standard wear parts. It sounds like this is your first MX bike. They do normally drag their cluches just a little bit. It shouldn't be bad enough to cause the bike to roll forward, but it will make it difficult to roll the bike backwards with the engine running and in gear.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I purchased a 99 KX125 with a clutch that wouldn't disengage at all. Got it home, pulled the basket and hub, and spent some time cleaning up the notching with a file. Worked great for quite a while. My friend has purchased the bike from me and now it's starting to drag a good amount again.

I've read that KX's from that generation (I believe 99-02) have notouriously soft clutch baskets. A little free work with a file will get you a good amount of hours out of the stocker, and in the mean time you can fish e b a y for a replacement. The one on that bike doesn't sound too bad though.

Top Bottom