KX 265 pinging when under load warm

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Hey, I had the 265 kit done by eric gorr last spring and through the past season the bike ran awsome, except when the bike would warm up to operating temperature it would ping when i opened it up either on big uphills or long straits but never part to 3/4 throttle. My plug always looked about tan in color, so i assume the jetting may be a little lean on top because i don't notice the pinging anywhere else. I have the stock needle in the top clip positon,a #155 main and a #43 slow jet. Should i raise the needle one position or bump up the main jet one size. If this means anything, i notice a brownish area on the middle of the crown on the piston and the rest of crown surface is blackish. Is this a sign of a too lean condition because i don't remember seeing that on any of the previous top end jobs prior to having the 265 kit done. If anyone has experienced any minor jetting problems with this big bore i could really use the help. I appriciate any help Thanks......................

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
3 choices really......try some race fuel in whole or in part. Retard your timing or richen you jetting in the throttle range of the ping.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Well since the pinging is heard only at full throttle i'am assuming the main jet would be the main possible culprit. Doesn't the postioning of the needle clip only change part to middle throttle mixture? Judging by the taper of the needle it would seem to make sense. Any more info would be appriciated. Thanks for any more help..........

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
All jetting circuits overlap to some degree. You need to determine weather you are pinging because you have too much compression (not enough octane under load) or if you are pinging because you are running too lean. The easiest thing to do is dump some 50/50 race/pump fuel in there and see if you are still pinging, or you could go to the next largest main and lower the clip one notch and see how it behaves then.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Thanks, that makes alot of sense, my jetting prior to having eric do the 265 mod to the jug and head was just about right but mabye that raised the compression a little because from what i remember this mod wasn't supposed to affect the jetting really at all. I'll try to find some VP around here and see what gives. Thanks alot for your help..................

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I run a 50/50 mix in my 265. Also had to change jetting a little.
pilot stock, clip in 2nd groove (3rd stock), and main also changed but not sure what size it has right now :bang: wife would kick my arse if I go rumage thru garage now. Then again, you you had it jetted pretty good already, you had changed from the stock settings anywho probably. Stock jetting on mine was way rich when it was still a 250.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
You got that right, i couldn't ride more than 15 minute in the woods without fouling a plug. I don't know what elevation that bike was set up for. Someone said i could run cam2 race fuel instead of VP, the price is about the same but a gas station down from where i work sell it. I used to run it back in the day in one of my cars but never in a bike. Anyone know any difference between the two? Do i have to run it 50/50 or will more race fuel be overkill? Thank for any info...........

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom