hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Our KX 60 has a significant amount of water in the crank case. The radiator has lost a significant amount of fluid. The bike has been ridden three hours since topping off the radiator and changing the crank case oil. By the way, the thing runs like a top. No noises, no white smoke, no antifreeze smell, nothing unusual except white oil in the crank case.

What do you guys think:

Crank Seal?
Water pump shaft?
Base gasket leak?
Something else?

Where should I start? Thanks in advance for the advice.

hoosierf

2000 KX125
2001 YZ250F
2000 XR50(for sale)
1996 KX60

vetracer

Jan 20, 2000
just had this happen to my daughters bike waterpump shaft seal is the culpuir. check also the bearings and the shaft itself hopes this helps you out

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
...sounds like Anthrax.:think

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Vetracer:

I can see that seal is definately shot. How did you fish the seal out? The shaft also has some wobble. Do I have to split the cases to replace the shaft and bearings?

Thanks,

hoosierf

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Its simple

you should also notice that your gear oil is a nice milky whitish sludge.

replace the whole assembly, water pump shaft,bearing and seal, the impeller is plastic so inspect it but it may not need to be replaced.

Crank case to me is where the (piston meets the crank) but I think you may be refering to the gearbox?

If there is water in the "crank case" you have a head gasket problem not a water pump problem.

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
You don't have to split the cases to change it, just pull off the right side cover. If the bearing and shaft are ok, just replace the seal and bushing. Be careful tapping out the bearing so you don't nick it. Also pay attention to the way the seal comes out, don't put it in backwards like I did the first time. It's a good idea to buy an extra seal to have on hand.

Top Bottom