Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
My son's 1989 KX 80 needs a clutch redo. Plates, friction pads, & springs. I am pretty good with repairs and do most all my own work. But I have never done this. Is it hard? Should I try it or just send it to the shop? And if you have any hints (do and don'ts & special tools needed) I would love to hear them. Thanks

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Hey mid high : Im sure you could accomplish this espescially with a manual . You might need a Motion Pro Clutch hub holder if you think you need to remove the clutch basket , but probably not for just changing the plates . Be careful on replacing the R/S cover If you pull out the Shift Shaft mechanism it could become "upset" causing the shifter plate to dislodge from the shat and if you dont correct this before you install the R/S cover its possible you couyld crack the cover because the shaft will stick out too far . It also will not shift . Also if the clutch on an older bike is worn out its best to usually replac e the cable so it works nice & silky. GOOD LUCK . p.s. get a clymer manual it will also tell you how to replace a piston & stuff .

Top Bottom