KX fork swap specific questions

lcc

Dec 10, 2006
I've read several of the threads related to the KX front end swap, but some specifics aren't addressed...

I have a 1991 KDX250. I'm looking at a set of 2001 KX250 forks with triples included. First of all, will these forks/triples make a good swap? If I use the full 2001 front end, including the steering stem, won't I be able to avoid all the "pressing steering stem" issues?

Can I use my front wheel with the 2001 KX forks? Are the axles the same size?

My brakes already stink so I'd prefer to do the whole swap with the '01 pieces...wheel, rotor, calipers, master cylinder, etc. if at all possible.

What is going to be my biggest problem with the 1991 KDX to 2001 KX 250 swap?

Thanks in advance for entertaining these questions...there is a lot to think about but the rest of the bike is just too good to go to waste.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
Lumpyboy, I noticed in a prior forum that you mentioned something about the '91 KDX..."Other than perhaps way back in '91, you need a complete set of upper and lower KX triple clamps (with KX steering stem) and KX forks from the same year.

lcc, got your e-mail. I think I was referring to the fact that the 90-93 KX forks are supposed to be direct bolts-ons to newer KDX's. I see you are going the other way here -- newer KX forks on an older KDX. There is guy here names Pewpster who did a '95 KX fork swap into a '91 KDX and I think the KX forks went right into the stock KDX clamps. Might do a search under his name. Sorry, I am not much more help here.

I am looking at buying a complete 2001 KX front end for the '91 and if you could help me take some of the guesswork out that would be great!

I went with a whole front end ('02 KX125 onto my '02 KDX) and the only things required were (1) get the KDX stem pressed into the KX clamp and (2) an extra washer or two on the stem up top. I went to a local bike shop that did the stem swap for me. I don't know how different the '91 KDX frame is from the more recent year bikes. Also, no wheel and brake issues to mess with if you just use the whole KX front end.

kevkar

May 4, 2003
i just finished installing 2000 kx125 forks on my 96 kdx 200. firstly the steering stems had to be pressed out of both triple clamps, and the original kdx stem pressed into the kx lower clamp. not an easy chore as the stems have an internal circlip installed in them, next i had to machine a spacer to move the lower bearing into the proper location to take up for the thinner kx lower triple clamp, then i had to machine an upper bushing to install the top clamp to the kdx stem. the original kdx brake line fits well to acerbis fork protectors, and the kx wheel and axle is used also.

kp

Top Bottom