KX Fuel Tank Radiator Shroud Mtg. inserts...

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
I have a 01 KX250 Fuel Tank that has a 6mm threaded insert that mounts the Radiator Shroud and it spins while removing the mounting bolt. The bolt head has been drilled and now I need to drill and re-tap the hole. Thinking about getting a left hand twist drill bit in hopes to remove the remains of the 6mm bolt while drilling. Any ideas? The insert was molded into the tank so I guess the plastic just didn't flow well around the insert. Sure wouldn't pay to replace the tank for something so minor...

Thanks for any ideas.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Are you saying that the insert on the tank is what is spinning? If so, that sucks! I would have to look at mine in the daylight to know exactly what it looks like. If you can carve some of that plastic out around the insert after you get the remaining pieces of bolt out, you could try putting some JB weld in there to hold that insert steady. Just be careful not to overtighten it. Matt

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My 01 does the same thing.. Been doing it now for over 2yrs, when i do a top end, i just take the tank and shrouds off as 1 piece.. I should fix it, im open for ideas..
Rick

Top Bottom