cadvette

Jan 19, 2004
My neighbors son has a 2005 KX100 that he rides and he says that when he lands jumps he is bottoming out the rear suspension. He is 12 and weighs 101lbs. He rides in all kinds of conditions from extreme sand to very hard pack with lots of jumps and whoops. This little guy goes like heck on this thing and I would like to help him out. They don't have a book for the bike and are too stubborn to buy one. So if you can please help me out to try to make a little guy be a little safer and maybe even a bit faster. Thanks, S.O.B in Michigan

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Sag should be ~75-80mm IIRC. The upper adjuster on the shock is compression but doesn't work like a normal bike. Its a rotory thing (i.e. 360 deg movement and your back where you started). In my experence the rising rate is quite steep at the end of the travel and it is quite hard to bottom the rear suspension on the little KX (plus with the foam-rubber bumper its kinda hard to tell when it is bottoming), though the forks bottom quite easily (my wife and sister both have KX100's which I play around on a good bit).

IMO the stock fork springs are too soft for most any rider and the shock spring is marginal. I'd go with .33kg fork springs and ~.5kg shock spring. R&D makes a replacement rear link which smooths out the steep rising rate makeing it more responsive and adding 2" of travel. I found that with this link you'll need a stiffer spring to get proper sag. On my wife's bike we are running .39kg fork springs and a 5.4kg shock spring with the R&D link. This setup works quite well, but I'd like a slightly stiffer shock spring.

Fork oil level can be adjusted as well, I belive 70mm-85mm is the range, but can check to be sure if you like.

good luck:)

Top Bottom