CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Some of you may remember my agony about a bike for my daughter - now 13, 5'6", ~110 lbs, spodely type rider that had totally outgrown her XR80.

We thought about a lot of bikes but finally picked a used 01 KX100 based on size (it fit her perfectly) and light weight -150 lbs.

In January I took the top end off to have it ported by EG for low to mid. I discovered it had lightly seized too so it got a bore, plate and new piston at the same time.

After reassembly we've done some testing in our yard. This thing is a rocket! It will pull a first gear acceleration wheelie with me on it and I weigh 210. Of course, my rear is farther back shifting the weight distribution some...

Too fast - following Rich Rohrich's tip (in the minibike section several months ago) I inserted a "stopper" in the carb to prevent more than about 2/3 throttle. This keeps the front wheel down though it will still wheelie if you want it. But now the power won't get away from her.

It also got an FMF Q silencer to keep the sound level reasonable.

We've done 1 trail ride on real gentle stuff. So far so good, it putt-putts pretty well and pulled her up a fairly long, slightly steep and slightly rocky hill, indicating it has some low end torque. From riding I'd say the low-end, with the throttle barely cracked open is about like the XR80 or maybe a little more. Of course its got lots more power everywhere else.

So far I think this was a good choice. After she rides some more I might change the gearing (chain and sprocket are pretty worn anyways) and perhaps add a flywheel weight.

I'll post more info as things develop.

Dan

Last edited:

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Dan- Awesome about your daughter's new ride! Please keep me updated as to what size jets are working for you up there. I'd like to come up to your neck of the woods to ride sometime this summer, so I'd like to be prepared and all. Thanks! -CJ

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
CJ - we've only ridden out at Hartman Rocks, which is 7700 ft approx. Lots of snow here still.

I've got a 45 pilot in with the AS out 2.5 turns. This is one *richer* than stock, I may need to lean it a little but so far it seems fine. I'm sure as the temps warm and the snow melts so we can go higher I'll set it back to 42, which is stock. Maybe even go leaner.

I raised the clip one position, to #3, which is one *leaner* than stock. That made a big difference in the mid.

The main jet is the stock 138. But because of the throttle stop we're barely getting into the main, so it probably doesn't matter.

Keep in mind that this engine is ported so I don't know how it compares with a stock engine.

I'll keep you posted.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Thanks for the info, Dan. Hmmm, yer prolly right about the engine porting requiring different jetting than stock. I hadn't thought about that. I'm already using a 130 main down at the tracks in Denver right now, so I'll prolly go even smaller up near your place. Clip, pilot, and AS are about the same, though, and that seems to be about right. We'll just have to experiment then, eh?! 'Can't wait!

Top Bottom