jdager

Apr 26, 2008
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and new to dirtbikes in general and just bought my first one about a week ago, with little to no knowledge of them. I bought a 97 kx125 2-stroke. It runs good and starts on every kick when warmed up, but I am having a heck of a time getting it to start when cold. I have done some reading and have found that I am probably flooding it a fouling up the plugs as I was trying to give it gas while trying to start it. I plan to replace the plug and have one on hand but wanted to find out what the proper way was to cold start the bike was so I don't just keep wasting plugs. anything you can suggest, even if it seems basic, would probably help. can the fouled plugs be cleaned or should I just throw them away? also, any tips on general maintance and care would be greatly appreciated.
thanks so much,
Jim Dager

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
To cold start a 2 smoker, turn on the fuel and choke, remove your hand from the thottle, kick slow once or twice, then turn it over slow till you feel resistance and let the kickstarter come back up. Then kick it hard all the way through. Repeat until it starts. You might as well pitch the old plugs. It's possible you have a rich jetting condition also if it keeps fouling plugs.

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
hey Joe, thanks, I have a service manual coming in the mail. how often should you have to change the spark plugs in the bike, or what would cause you to have to change them, or how can you tell they need to be changed? also, does anyone know what the gap should be on them while I wait on my manual?
thanks again,
Jim

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
well if the carb is tuned correctly you should not have to touch the plug at all. I can make it the whole summer one plug. Also how you ride has an effect on the spark plug life.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
In a 125 if you ride too much in the lower rpm's it will load up and foul the plug. Do a search on jetting and read up. The plug may need changed if the bike quits running or is hard to start. Typical gap is around .030".

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
thanks, may seem like a dumb question but I was wondering what the procedure was to clean and oil the air filter, want to make sure I do it right
Jim

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I pull my filter, dunk it in a bucket of water & No Toil cleaner. Then put that filter on the shelf, and grab a clean & dry one and spray it with No Toil Oil. Squeeze the filter to get the oil distributed throughout the filter, and reinstall.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Of course if you don't use No-Toil that won't work

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
what is no toil, where do I get it and are there any other products or procedures to try?
thanks for your help
Jim

Top Bottom