Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
Back ground info: I'm 15 (almost 16), about 145 pounds, and about 5'7" tall. Currently i ride a 2002 kx100. I've been riding for almost 2 years doing trails and some ax, and this year getting into hare scrambles and mx.

By the end of this year, most likely June or July, i will be selling my kx100 for a new bike. I am really wanting a 2003-4 kx250. Personally i think the power will be a little much right away, but i think that with a little time on the bike i will be able to use it comfortable and controllably. I Ride mostly trails and hare scrambles.

Main reason, bc a 250 2-stroke will have plenty of power for anything i throw at it. I won't be wishing there was a lil more power. I'll have more confidence bc I'll have more power. I'll be able to hang on to it for longer, instead of getting a new bike every 1-2 years bc I've out grown it or the power. I'll be able to save some money on modifying it, bc it'll have enough power i wouldn't want much more. The price is within a 100 or 2 of the new 250 thumpers, which was my other choice, but for the similar price and weight why not add 10 horsepower and a get the kx250 instead.

Things I'm unsure of, racing it. I want to get into hare scramble racing and the 250 class is more advanced and older guys, would i still be competitive. If i got this bike at 16 i would plan on keeping it until i was about 19. And also is the power that controllable? From mags, they say that it is almost 4-stroke like, and is very smooth. Which would be nice. And for someone my size would it be too much of a struggle to muscle it through tight trails?

Mainly i REALLY would like to make this my next bike, but have a few uncertainties.

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I'm currently in the same position almost anyway. I'm riding a KDX 200 and am getting into mx so its got to go. I'm gonna get a 250. In the beginning I'm just gonna take it easy then push harder and harder. From your 100 its gonna be a huge difference but I thik you should do fine. Go for it you can always add flywheel weight to make it the power more controllable.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
If you take it easy on the throttle for a while it shouldn't be a problem. I rode a 95 KDX200 for a year to get my feet wet and then bought my KX250. I was intimidated by the power for the first 3 or 4 months. My main reason for the KX originally was the same as KAWA's in that I was spending all my time on a MX track but any more I probably spend 90% of my time in the woods. The versatility is what sold me on the 250. If I was in the market for another bike right now it would be another two stroke (probably KX) 250.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
well i was riding my dad kdx200 a couple days ago, bc my 100 wore out the rear brake pads. And i could handle the wieght and hieght good. I was jumping turning and everything fine. So i'm not worried about the size at all. And the power i could handle i'm sure, after a couple hours of getting use to it.

I thought about the flywheel wieght too.

the reason for kx is:
-I'm a kawi lover
-SUppose to be pretty smooth.

I don't want a ktm so no 200sx. the kdx is awsome motor, but the rest of it i dont' really care for. suspension to soft, and it's pretty wide. Now i just need a job so i can get one.

Top Bottom