kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
hi there guys, i need an opinion on these two bikes, what is better in performance, handleing, build quality and reliability, a brand new cr500 or kx500 and also, what sort of power delivery do the big bore 2-strokes have, i was told that they are like 4-strokes with an even spread of power, or do they have the power when they are reving high like the 125s and 250s, can u feal the powerband like the 125s and 250s, im using the bike for dune and beach riding and im a skilled rider.

The_STiLe

May 9, 2005
ok sorry i have only ridden a kx500 once and their bottom end power is not as potent as the cr, I can tell that they both dont really handle that great just like any other pre 92 motocross bike, they both feel fat and lack that flat and slim feeling that your 1999 kx has. As far as reliability they are both bullet proof, the cr has less maintenance, cause they have no powervalves. you wont be able to find a brand new one because they dont make them anymore. All that aside dont be put off by the camp-fire legends you hear about them because they are not that hard to live with! no really im telling the truth. i hope any of this i have just dribbled helps

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Why not buy the Service Honda CR500AF? 500 motor in a new, sleek Aluminum frame with all of the up-to-date suspension. If I was in the market for a 500, I would look no further.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I've ridden both and both are great bikes.
"4 stroke like power",,,, Don't kid yourself, these are 500 TWO STROKES. Power everywhere, even to much most of the time, but ideal for the sand dunes.
Pick the one that is in the best condition, through on a sand tire and enjoy.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
They make a lot of low end power, don't rev very high, do have a noticable hit in the middle. Rev much more quickly than a 4-stroke, but the power curve is relitivley flat and linear which is why someone was probably comparing them to 4-strokes. Don't confuse low end hp vs. top end hp as a 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke thing. Its really more releated to cylinder size and it just happens that most 4-strokes are also large displacement engines.

IMHO the CR has a little more modern chassie and would be my pick for dune riding. The KX has a tad more top end hp, but less botom - both have way more than you will ever need. I owned a couple of CR500's and they were great bikes. Very easy to use.

Make sure to get a paddle tire for sand riding, it makes a world of difference. Get a molded one (like the ching shin) rather than one with glued on paddles like a skat track. The glue will not hold up to the hp a 500 puts out.

have fun

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
You couldn't go wrong either way. These are the best 'play' bike for the money, although they're very competetive in HS, especially the more open ones.

I don't agree with the low end thing, though. There are days when the jets meet the temp/atm pressure perfectly when I can't even hold on or keep the thing from endo'ing off low throttle. A powervalved engine should make more power on the low end.

There is another bike you can buy 'new' if you want open power. ATK makes a 500, 620 & 700 Intimidator. They're basically huge Maico Motard motors and frames that have been slightly modified for 'dirtbikin'' :think: . The 620 is supposed to be the beast. They cost 7-10 grand, though. For that price, the AF would be a better 'all around' bike, with the ATK just being a phenomenon.

BTW, what's a bedisloe cup? Is that like one of those cups of soup you have before your Key Lime pie and Port wine? :debil: Or is it the HS girls pom-pom championships in Alice Springs? ;)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm a bit surprised that y'all are giving the bottom end vote to the CR. I thought the KX's KIPS system made better low end power. I've never ridden a CR500 so I can't really say.

That being said, I ride my KX500 in the woods. It's got great power from way down low to anywhere you want to go. The best piece of advice I can give is to ride a gear (or two) higher than you think you need. It has great bottom end torque but comes on like gang busters as you climb the power curve. Exactly how this squid loves it.

A lighter chassis would be nice and if I had the ca$h blow and time to ride more, I'd buy a CR500AF.

The_STiLe

May 9, 2005
please keep in mind he lives in nz he would be looking at about 15k plus to get one there, the cr500af, i havent even seen the atk over here so chances are slim getting one. just look for a good second hand one i got mine for 4000 and it had barley been ridden so there are lots of second hand ones were people have bought them new, gone for about 3 rides and thought f***k that and decided to sell it.

The_STiLe

May 9, 2005
oops that doesnt read to well, i mean the cr500af would be about 15k. and i havent seen the atk maico over here at all. and mine is a steel frame cr500.

kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
wooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo CR500AF here i come, man that bike looks AWSOME, man ive never seen one of those before, why arnt they in the dirtbike mags with all the other CRs, s***t man that would make those overated four strokes look stupid, ive got the money to spend so it looks like ill be getting one, ive never seen a frame like that on a CR500, so could those be jumped as high as a cr250 and 125, are they lighter than a 450,

SICK

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Kawaguy:

I have a 2005 CR500AF. They can be jumped as high as you desire and they are several pounds lighter than a 450f and even 2 pounds lighter than a 250F. The 2005 AF is the CRF250 chasis but the 500 2-Stroke motor weighs 2 pounds less.

The bike handles great, I just rode mine this past Saturday back to back with a friends 2005 CRF450. The 450 is way tame in comparison, that's a good thing to me. If you ride the 500 in third for most MX corners the power is way smooth and plentyful. My friend is an average 250 Int. rider. He and an other friend were in a heated battle in practice this Saturday coming into a long sweeper that leads to a long uphill section. I set up outside of them coming into the sweeper and twisted the throttle the the stop, the rear end drifted out and I cut under both of them and was gone. The power if very managable and the bike is actually smaller than the 450 and corners much better.

I'm 40 years young and the track I race at has a 45 foot double after a tight tunnel turn and a 80 foot triple after a crapy step down and I do them with out any concern. Before on my YZ250 I would have to set up just right or forget it. On the 500 you can just get thru the corner and roll on the throttle and have plenty of power for anything that other bikes are pinned for.

I'm just now getting comfortable with the new chassis, I have been on Yammaha's for the past five years. The 2005 AF feels great and when ordered set up with their suspention offerings handles great too. I can turn the CR500AF inside of the CRF450 all day long.

As far as cost goes, their web site has a break down. I have around 12 K in my bike but I have the base bike plus front and rear suspension upgrades including the Enzo sub tanks, Eric Gore ported cylinder, Tag Matrix clamps and fat bars, factory connection pro perch, skid plate, spare wheel sets, DID gold chain, 49 tooth rear sprocket, Pro Curcuit wide pegs, aluminum throttle tube, Twin Air filter, Factory Connection radiator braces.

The sky is the limit but when you get it you will have the best bike on the track. All the stuff I mentioned isn't neccesary but it's what I wanted for my bike. You will pay $8,999.00 plus $350.00 shipping for the base bike.

Good luck,

Mark

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
If I had the money, I'd be getting a CR500AF. I've had my KX500 since 2000 and LOVE IT!!! It's got awesome low end. It's amazing how low RPMs you can make it work, especially with a flywheel weight. About the only other bike easier to maintain would be the Honda XRs. Starts first kick when warm. One, two or maybe three when cold. You also never need to shift. The best lazy man bike money can buy and THE true muscle bike of dirt bikes. GET ONE!!!

Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
Has anyone over here in the UK got one? I bet they would be the ultimate Weston Beach Race bike! They would storm that start atraight like nothing else I bet!!

cfowler

Mar 23, 2010
After the Dust Settles....

Green is Green and Red is Red.
They are both KILLER bikes.
FYI- Even Service Honda does not dispute that the KX500 engine is better. Take a Look (Replace *'s with .'s) motocrossactionmag*com/ME...11F412FD9CB148

Service Honda Prices:
CR500AF - $10,499
KX500AF - $11,499

servicehonda*com

Top Bottom