Showa skock disassembly help needed

taillite

Apr 4, 2004
I have a '95 rm 125 rear showa shock that needs a rebuild/seal head but the question is how do I remove the spring? The retainers are not sloted to allow disassembly-do I have to remove the shaft/sealhead as one to remove the spring? I have done shocks before but mainly snowmobile (fox,ryde fx,kyb,hpg,ect)but this one strikes me as strange. It doesn't make sence that you should have install the spring before the shaft/sealhead/piston asm. Any help guys please? Thanks , Tony

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
IF you don't have a spring compressor, loosen the collars and back the spring off as far as you can. put the shock upside down is a vise with soft jaws. tap toward the outsides of the spring seat with a rubber mallet, This will expose the retaining clip that holds the spring in place. Remove retaining clip and the spring will come off.
From there you can go to the MX-tech site and click on down loads. There is step by step instructions, for a rebuild for the showa shock.

Russ

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Taillite theres a collar on the bottom of the spring that holds a large thin retainer ring , sometimes they get stuck and youll have to tap collar with a hammer or mallot while sort of holding the inner collar part on the edge of the tilted spring. The clip can seem sort of hidden. Youre not the only one to not see it.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
True Dean, There is a circlip on the bottom of the ring retainer on the bottom, Use a rubber mallet to expose it. I was in the same situation when i changed my spring a couple years back. I didn't understand how to get it out.

Erik

ShawnMc

Mar 14, 2004
I changed a showa spring for a guy just yesterday, and I ended up using a tiny flat blade screw driver to pry the collar from the retainer. I tapped it, and wacked it pretty good with a rubber mallet for at least 20 minutes. It was just plain stuck. If you look down in the joint where they come together real close, you'll be able to see the ends of the retaining ring. A tiny screwdriver will slip in the end gap. It didnt take much force to separate the two. And it wouldnt hurt to put some kind of grease in there too, to prevent the electrolisis action from sticking it again.

Soaking it with WD40 or Liquid wrench may ease the joint also.

Top Bottom