Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2007
from the way i am looking at this it is a good idea.

i like 2 strokes but lets face it they will be gone soon. they pollute. that simple and with the growing awareness of global warming and such big companies will stop making them so they can get a jump on the 4 stroke market. 4 strokes dont pollute as much so they are the obvious answer. there is no r&d required to make them cleaner.

it does all come down to pennies and dimes and they arent making a whole load more on 4 strokes cuz they cost more to produce also. you are paying more cuz they cost more. as for parts you will pay more for but you are no longer paying for premix.

they really even out and it comes down to pollution. if all of a sudden there is a ban on 2 stroke engines (this is just a what if) then companies that relied on 2 strokes like ktm and gas gas would be screwed. they would no longer be turning a profit and would close. (well not close but would have to close lots of factories and fire lots of employees etc)

i dont know what kind of job most of the people here have but lets say you are a person who makes widgets of a certain kind. all of your competitors are switching to a different kind of widget though because they kind that you have focused on has been found to cause some sort of problem that is bad.(yea i know bad description) this other kind doesnt have that problem but is more expensive becuase it is more complicated to make. then because your widget has a problem it is banned. you now have to completely switch your focus of widget. all at once instead of a slow phase out. it now is costing you more to keep in business because you continued making the certain kind of widget that was bad and had to suddenly switch your factories to be able to make this new widget.

it just makes more sense to start making 4 strokes now. so when (and i mean when not if) 2 strokes get banned they big companies will have a smooth transition.

ps remember i like 2 strokes and 4 strokes equally. i find them both fun to ride. i have nothing against 2 strokes i just dont see them lasting much longer.

pps and if any one brings up the evinrude clean boat engine just remember its not on a dirt bike is it. and the big companies are not going to spend the money to look into that. now when there is already a solution.

ppps if you read that whole thing you deserve a cookie

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
flyingfuzzball said:
it does all come down to pennies and dimes and they arent making a whole load more on 4 strokes cuz they cost more to produce also. you are paying more cuz they cost more. as for parts you will pay more for but you are no longer paying for premix.

haha your kiding, right?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
flyingfuzzball said:

i like 2 strokes but lets face it they will be gone soon. they pollute. that simple and with the growing awareness of global warming and such big companies will stop making them so they can get a jump on the 4 stroke market. 4 strokes dont pollute as much so they are the obvious answer. there is no r&d required to make them cleaner.

they really even out and it comes down to pollution. if all of a sudden there is a ban on 2 stroke engines (this is just a what if) then companies that relied on 2 strokes like ktm and gas gas would be screwed. they would no longer be turning a profit and would close. (well not close but would have to close lots of factories and fire lots of employees etc)

i dont know what kind of job most of the people here have but lets say you are a person who makes widgets of a certain kind. all of your competitors are switching to a different kind of widget though because they kind that you have focused on has been found to cause some sort of problem that is bad.(yea i know bad description) this other kind doesnt have that problem but is more expensive becuase it is more complicated to make. then because your widget has a problem it is banned. you now have to completely switch your focus of widget. all at once instead of a slow phase out. it now is costing you more to keep in business because you continued making the certain kind of widget that was bad and had to suddenly switch your factories to be able to make this new widget.

it just makes more sense to start making 4 strokes now. so when (and i mean when not if) 2 strokes get banned they big companies will have a smooth transition.

ps remember i like 2 strokes and 4 strokes equally. i find them both fun to ride. i have nothing against 2 strokes i just dont see them lasting much longer.

pps and if any one brings up the evinrude clean boat engine just remember its not on a dirt bike is it. and the big companies are not going to spend the money to look into that. now when there is already a solution.

Nice Manifest, The pollution stuff is hogwash as the reason the manufacturers are stepping away from 2 strokes. Not a single 4 stroke race bike currently meets the EPA emission standard so it's not about cleaner burning 4 strokes. I've bolded the key part of your text, that's where you're even further off base they are making boatloads more per bike with the 4 strokes, both on purchases and cost per hour of use.

Now where's my cookie?

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
flyingfuzzball said:

You are seriously misinformed.

We could start out with the scam known as Global Warming :rotfl: (here's a hint for you- it's natural, and not man-made).

Pollution? Every MX bike fails the eco-nazi tests, 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

Pennies and dimes? Have you priced out what it'll cost to rebuild Honda's cheater 150 compared to a CR85? I guess you could pay for a new head with pennies and dimes, but you'll need a whole bag full of them.

What's the issue with using direct injection like Evenrude has? Do you think that technology only works with boat motors?

2-strokes may very well go the way of the Dodo, but it's not because the 4-stroke is a better motor. It'll be legislated out of existance by sanctioning bodies, and be helped along by eco-scum that only want you to stop riding anyway.

GoT_GreeN

Jun 17, 2007
Matt Fisher said:

We could start out with the scam known as Global Warming :rotfl: (here's a hint for you- it's natural, and not man-made).

Pennies and dimes? Have you priced out what it'll cost to rebuild Honda's cheater 150 compared to a CR85? I guess you could pay for a new head with pennies and dimes, but you'll need a whole bag full of them.

What's the issue with using direct injection like Evenrude has? Do you think that technology only works with boat motors?

2-strokes may very well go the way of the Dodo, but it's not because the 4-stroke is a better motor. It'll be legislated out of existance by sanctioning bodies, and be helped along by eco-scum that only want you to stop riding anyway.
Polute!! what about those old bombs still running around on the road blowing out a quart of oil every mile, and those diesels, factories, 2 strokes are causing global warming so take them out ha ha. How about the space shuttle, every launch emits more polutants than 1/4 the cars in America, toxic at that.

Jan 3, 2007
flyingfuzzball, well, your wrong. Honda produced a Baja bike that was cleaner, faster, cheaper, and more reliable then a 4 stroke. You think about the difference in power for one, it takes a 125cc 5 stroke weed wacker to do a 49cc 2 stroke weed wackers job.

KTM, will also never give up on its 2 strokes for the fact KTM dose not care what us North Americans think but what there professianal racers and european market wants.

The price in operation of a 2 stroke compared to a 4 stroke
4 STROKE:
Oil every ride or second ride
Engine rebuild min $500
Carberator Diaphram costs $100+
thats only toching surface

2 STROKE
Change oil every 2 weeks
has no diaphram or accelorator pump
top end $200
If anyone would like to add to the lits feel free

I think the 2 stroke is a better engine that is way more cost effective.
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/honda-exp2-15169.html
Tis backs me and other people up.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Matt Fisher said:

bingo, the myth/scam about global warming is :coocoo: . the MFG's and AMA are just using that to their advantage by claiming that 2T's are polluting our air, one of the only doors open for the death of the 2T. i personally hope that 2T's never die, but thats not up to me.

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
ah yes. It all comes back to that conspiracy theory about global warming. Grow up guys and look at the science. It's funny how SUV manufacturers have managed to stay in business and not cave under the pressure to "not pollute" given this mass conpiracy. Oh puleez. Take the tinfoil off your heads and think! :rotfl:

Leaded gas and paint don't cause brain damage, and ddt didn't bring the bald eagle to the brink of extinction. I'm sure the dodo and all those other extinct species were never hurt by man either. :coocoo: :coocoo:

About the best thing this discussion had to offer was the picture of Blake Bilco and the reference to 2000 article on the return of the 2 stroke.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2 strokes for life said:
Carberator Diaphram costs $100+
thats only toching surface

2 strokes for life said:
KTM, will also never give up on its 2 strokes for the fact KTM dose not care what us North Americans think but what there professianal racers and european market wants.

Do you ever tire of saying foolish things out here?

Last edited:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Because a carb diaphram kit sells for $21.96
Just my guess on the question.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2 strokes for life said:
Rich Rohrich, what why is that foolish? Not saying your wrong but i just would like to know.

2006 YZ450F ...diaphragm Assy (std) 1 $16.98

Just ONCE I'd like to see you post something out here that didn't include complete nonsense about :

- how engines work
- what it's like to ride, own, maintain anything four-stroke
- your take on the motorcycle business and how it will look down the road.

It is a BUSINESS by the way and as soon as selling four-strokes, or ATVs or two-strokes of WHATEVER becomes an unprofitable business, you can count on a company dropping them from their line.

Honda probably sells more CRF100s in a year than KTM sells motorcycles, so they will tend to have different ideas about what constitutes "good business". But don't kid yourself, once KTM or Gas Gas or any of the other small Euro companies can't make a living selling two-strokes, they will move on to some other technology. Your pipe dream of a company full of two-stroke zealots championing the technology is laughable. I love my two-stroke motorcycles and I'll keep them and have fun with them as long as I can get parts but that's a PERSONAL decision and what you are yapping about is business, pure and simple. CEO's don't romanticize over technologies, they leave that to goofs on the internet. If you believe otherwise you have less of a clue than even I thought you did.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sorry brother 2-stroke, but that pretty much sums it up in terms everyone can understand.

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
Its really sad to what this country has come to...People like idiot al gore and his global warming, what a joke, REAL scientists have said over and over again that it is all natural and not by exhaust emissions or anything else. The ozone opening and closing is the way the earth vents itself. Remember a few years back they were trying to figure out a way to 'sew up' the hole in the ozone and then they realized it was closing back up on its own and then stated 'damn, if we would have closed it up, everyone would have burned to death" Gee dumbasses why dont we let nature run its course like its supposed to and ban Al Gore..Next thing, its all about the money, the jackass jap companies know that they can charge whatever they want to and we will buy it because a lot of people can afford to. On the other hand, guys like me who have been riding 2 strokes for 30 years will be out of the sport now because some of us cant afford these high dollar 4-stroke bikes and sure cant afford to maintain them, but the chinks dont care about that, they would rather have SOME people buying their 4-strokes then everyone being able to ride something they build..The jerks in the AMA are going the same way nascar and the WWE and everyone else is going, they dont give a damn about nothing but the money they draw in, i see a lot of 'dwindling away' of the sport, the idiots should make a fair cc rule so BOTH the 2 and 4 strokes could compete and then the 2 stroke wouldnt have to die. There are still plenty of guys out there who favor the 2 stroke but dont have a choice in the matter. So much for the USA, not free anymore, you do as the communist rich AMA or nascar or our lovely US government says or your out!! Its like when you were a kid and the one spoiled kid of the bunch HAD to have his way or it wasnt happening, thats how things are done here nowadays, they wont make it good for everyone, they have to have their way..they dont like 2 strokes so the hell with everyone that does..its rediculous! Good thing they are still sold in canada because if things dont shape up, im heading that way!! Ever notice there is no middle class anymore? Your either rich or barely making it!! So, in the very near future, the rich will still get too ride and us not so rich wont have nothing!

Jan 3, 2007
Rich Rohrich, sorry about the diaphram set. My friend with a 84 Yamaha XT250 just paid $100 or so for a diaphram.

Okiewan, has Rich ever been wrong? I have yet to see it. Mabe thats a good thing.

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
My opinions..

Global Warming: Even if it is hurting the environment, ecosystem, etc. The Earth has been through much worse times (i.e. Ice Age) and it's taken care of itself. We do need to improve the pollution but the 2T are not to blame.. They are only at fault to less than %5 of the pollution in the air. That's not much compared to the smog and air pollution created by cars, factories, etc.

Two-Strokes: Oh, the beloved two-stroke. I love them, they're fun to ride, easy to maintain, cheap to fix, but if they're causing all this disagreement and argument, then maybe it's their time to go. Maybe not. If they are being outlawed, or whatever. Then it won't stop me from riding. They still have thumpers. =]

Freestyle: People will still find a way to to flips, as Chili said, 2T or not.

I think Rich pretty much summed this all up, and gave us all the answers to our questions. =]]

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I think Rich pretty much summed this all up, and gave us all the answers to our questions. =]]
me too

The End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom