Leak prof fork seals or standard???

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
time to do my seals on my 00 YZ 125 which seals should i get the leak prof kind that claim to go longer before leaking and also say u can push them in by hand and u dont need special tools or standard factory seals???

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
ya but the leak prof ones say u can just press thim in my hand u dont need spiechal tools .... it doesnt say that wit hthe standard type ones...

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
also i was considering buying some seal savers, does anyone use them ? think there worth the money? i dont want ot have to do my seals again for a long time .....

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
no but everything oem is like 5 times more expensive than aftermarket..... but seals i dunno.... the only thing that worrys me is getting the seals in i dont have the tool , and the tool is like 60 bucks or somthing, what should i do?

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by Can Can Kev
so you just pushed the seals in by hand i thought u had t ohave a tool?

You can use some pvc cut in half that is the right size. But if you have used a seal driver before you wouldn't want to touch the pvc.

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
It sounds like you have never done this before, so first, get OEM seals, I think almost everyone so far as agreed that the aftermarket ones are junk, and if you go that way to save money, you will be replacing seals more often. The saying " YOU CAN PAY ME NOW, OR YOU CAN PAY ME LATER" comes into effect here. Do it right the first time. Also order the Seal-Savers. I am a believer in them and if you wash your bike regularly, it will help keep the dirt out of the seals also. If you have a Yamaha owners manual, or find someone that does, their manual explains the process, with pictures and diagrams. As far as getting the new seals in, I took a piece of PVC pipe, cut it down the middle and set each piece around the tube and very carefully tap it down until you can get it past the slot where the retainer clip goes back on. Don't mess up the tube when you are pounding or you will get leaks that you will never be able to stop.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I don't have seal driver but I did have some left over lead flashing ( lead strip about 6-8" wide ) and I cut off the right length to go around the slider and it worked a treat, although I did wrap the slider in masking tape just in case, but probably not necessary to do this as chrome much harder than lead. Also of course if you have a roll of lead flashing its infinitely adjustable, you just cut off the length you need when you get a different bike instead of having to buy new drivers. Just be careful when wrapping it around the slider that its a nice straight edge facing the seal.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
ok guys, went down to the dealer and got myself some seals, $9.45 for each seal and some fork oil....

Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
Thats the way I do it too Kev. I put my old seals on top of the new ones to protect them

so you use the pvc method, and then put the old seals on behind it between the new seal and the PVC to proect the seals as they go on? hmmm

What size pvc do you use? (i have Kayaba forks (2000 YZ 125))

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The last time I did seals I took them in to a small shop and the installed the seals for nothing. Only take a few minutes if you have everything apart.

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
I have done that also, if they aren't too busy, but then the dealer changed his policy to a minimum charge of $20 for anything he does. That stops people like me from coming in and bothering him for little things like this. I guess I can't blame him.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom