dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
My 2001 cr125 has a leaky fuel valve (I think).

I let it sit for about a week, then went to start it the morning of a ride in my driveway. It wouldnt start, and after numerous attempts to bump start it I pulled the plug out of there. The plug was soaked with gas (FYI a fresh plug). I blew the plug off, and kicked the bike over numerous times with the plug out, then put the plug back in. It started right up. I let it run for a minute, then put it in the trailer. About an hour and a half later, I pull it out of the trailer at the track and try to start it. No luck. I pulled the plug, blew it off, kicked her over a few and put it back in. Bike fired right up, and ran fine for the rest of the day.

My question is, is this a symptom of a leaky petcock, and if it is, how do i fix it? Is there some kind of rebuild kit available with new seals or something?

As always, Thanks for your help.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
Why don't you remove the fuel hose from the petcock, and check for leaks? Put some plastic bag attached to the petcock, so it won't get messy...

I must say, however, that petcocks are most likely getting stucked, and not leaking freely. What you might be experiencing is either a valve buoy (in the low part of the carb) leak (caused by 1. Bad leveling of the buoy, or 2. Warn buoy valve/neddle) or a bad reed. Check my thread about bad reeds causing starting problems.

Good luck.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
Easy way to tell if your petcock is leaking in the off position is to pull the fuel line off. Sounds like old gas or frayed reeds to me though.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
After I spent some attention to your bike year (2001), I would say it's probably your buoy that's not in the right level, since the other options should be OK in a bike this new. Try do adjust it to restrict a bit the amount of fuel flowing.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Needle valve isn't seating due to contamination. Even a small peice of dirt keeping the needle unseated will allow gravity to feed the rest of what is in the line. No need to worry about an air leak due to the fact that your combustion chamber still holds air and your reeds are not a seal. That's where the air is coming from to replace the fuel in the line.

My .02
Phillip

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Thanks Irish, this bike sat for a month or so in the delaership before i got it.. I guess its time for a little squirt-squirt of carb clean.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom