trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Sawblade said:
I'd rather spend $400 on a device that offers some level on protection verses a go fast device that I've convinced myself will make me faster. :think:

This is why I don't buy any go-fast devices ;) A friend of mine ordered the brace, 525$ CAN.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
trial_07 said:
This is why I don't buy any go-fast devices ;) A friend of mine ordered the brace, 525$ CAN.

I guess that's the price for living in Canada. ;)

tnrider - I've worn my Leatt brace for two months. By the third ride I wasn't aware it was on.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
Leatt

Used the Leatt med club brace for the first time yesterday at a hardpack jump infested track. Luckily I didnt functionally test it. Im 6' 155lb . The instructions for fitting the brace are very important dont just slap it on and ride. Read the booklet, its very able to be custom fit. I had to use the smallest pins in the kit and closest position on the rear member. Even with the rear "shelf" adjusted all the way up in its highest position I never noticed my helmet being bumped or restricted, but, I do have a long pencil neck so other folks may prefer to lower it down a bit. I also bought the HRP chest protector thats built to fit around the brace, and it snaps together on the front left chest to shoulder attachment. The actual snap on the chest protector looks a little flimsy but it held tight all day, also the shoulder pads were a little wide for my wimpy shoulders, they kind of slid over the side a bit. I did not use the strap system with the brace, but I will next ride. Its very easy to get in and out of, and it didnt even come close to pinching my neck although I hear some people complained about that happening. So far so good with the Leatt Brace :cool:

cconner2l

Jun 3, 2007
Im not impressed with my leatt brace yet. I was riding my 110 with my leatt brace on. I went over the bars on a small double and i broke my collarbone. I felt my helmet push on the brace and I think the brace broke my collarbone. But, my neck doesnt hurt.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The leatt is not designed as collarbone protection. That aside the collarbone is one of the weakest bones in your body and far more prone to breaking then any others.
I still believe tho the Leatt will provide some CBone protection in some crashes but not all especially if it is fitted properly

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I had my first ride with my Leatt yesterday. I would have to say that i did not even notice that i had it on - including riding in EastTN afternoon heat - thats it for my ride report...

Now some other notes.

- i think they are having some quality issues regarding the screws used to install the pins. when i tried to remove the factory installed mediums, one screw snapped off in the pin. to Leatt credit - they send me a new set of pins and two screws. however, one of the screws they sent was clearly mfg improperly as threads were off and metal shavings hanging from threads still. i recommend immediately pulling screws out when delivered and make sure they are not in a bind like mine were - don't want to find out in future when resizing gear. i plan to return the parts to Leatt and perhaps they can sort out quality issues. oh, they replaced parts for free and did so in less than 1-week from my call -- i am pleased with this.

- i took much time checking fit as i tried both the med and small pins - with chest protector and helmet each time... turns out i kept the factory medium anyway. oh well :bang:

- i had to let my fox chest protector out one notch each front/rear so that the chest and shoulders would fit around the Leatt. no big deal here and no new chest protector ($$) required. i would be reluctant to cut my shoulder cups as it appears in Leatt video as that puts a sharp edge too close to my neck. even with my fox out one notch - i still have full coverage as the Leatt makes up the difference.

- watch the installation video on Leatt site a few times first. the instructions alone that came with the brace are not enough for you to understand fitting issues. the video is good! i did my fitting in front of the computer monitor - don't wait until the track to do this both for lack of the video and some handy mirrors.

joey450

Jul 14, 2007
I ordered the leatt neck brace after reading the David Bailey article in Racer X ,I ordered 2 one for me and my son.I feel they offer more protection than any other neckbrace that i have used,luckily neither one of us has had to truly put it to the test,they are a bit pricey but i do not belive you can put a price on safety.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Took seven days for ours to arrive but that was prior to the Bailey video being aired. I ordered directly from the Leatt website as they had no dealers when we ordered ours.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
dirtbike_freak said:
How long did it take for your guys's braces to get to you? Did you oder direcly from leatt-brace.com or from another place?

i ordered direct for leatt. it took the full amount of time specified on the web site.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Are You On The Fence

IF you are on the fence about getting a LEATT brace for yourself or your kids get off it now and start wearing one.

On 9-30-07 round 9 of the Wa state champion series in port Angles my son had one of the most violent crases i have ever seen. He races in the 7-11 85 and suppermini class. He was sideways and short on a large 4th gear pined double. He hit the ground like a sack of mud then cartweeled down the track another 25 feet. We left the track on a backboard with his head tapped to it The good thing is 2 hrs later he walked out of the hospital He had a slight concushen and lots of scrapes and bruises. his helmet is junk and the Leatt brace is broke in two places. I will post picks later of the damage to the Leatt. You could tell by the bruising of his shoulders and back that the brace did what it was made to do,transfer the impact across the shoulders and keep the head from over rotating. Thank you Leatt and thank you God.

ShoujoKakumei

Sep 14, 2007
One of these is definitely on my purchase list before I start doing anything more dangerous than trail riding and a little beginner track with my friends. I've seen a couple crashes like Bonehead described and pretty convinced that they're worth the cash. Bruised shoulders or even a broken collarbone are better than a broken neck - the worst thing a broken collarbone's gonna do is leave a bump.

Though on the topic of Leatt vs knee braces... I personally would go for knee braces first (and plan to) because I've already injured my knees so many times doing unrelated stuff that if I screw them up any further, repairing them really ain't gonna happen short of a knee replacement at age 23. That's just me though. :D If I had kids, they'd be wearing Leatts already.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I'm hearing more and more about collar bone breaks on a few other forums I'm on. It does look like the leatte might be the cause of them. Not a reason not to use them but I'm thinking of supplimenting with a football pad designed to go under shoulder pads. They are $20 so not too spendy. Some call them a spider pad. Its just a figure 8 pad that fits over the head and extends down the chest and back. We've been using them under our standard chest protectors. looks like they'll work with the leatte.

anyone else got an ideas.

Jason

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've seen a few of those threads about collarbone breaks and I've always just blown it off, as collarbone breaks were likely the most common mx injury for many years prior to the introduction of the Leatt brace.

If in fact it is the Leatt causing the breaks then I don't think the pads will offer any assistance as they would not likely help distribute any of the load that the Leatt transfers from the neck area.

joey450

Jul 14, 2007
Jasle said:
I'm Not a reason not to use them but I'm thinking of supplimenting with a football pad designed to go under shoulder pads. They are $20 so not too spendy. Some call them a spider pad. .

s.

Jason
The directions that come with the leatt neck brace says, To work properly the brace must set firmly on your shoulders this is the reason you have to trim most chest protector.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
tnrider said:
i ordered direct for leatt. it took the full amount of time specified on the web site.
After 3 weeks of waiting, I canceled it and ordered one from a dealer in idaho. It was here in 4 days.

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
My uncle and cousin both have one, I plan on getting one for sure when I get the money. The way I look at it is, you can't put a price on safety! Or for that matter you cant put a price on what if's either! I gotta get the youth sizes though where I'm so darn small!

Top Bottom