Legality of riding the powerlines in MA

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
Hi all,

I just got back into dirtbiking after moving to the street 10 years ago. since then I know things have gotten tougher legal riding wise.

I plan on getting my bike registered in the next week or so...

But my question is since I store my bike next to some good powerlines I was wondering what the law says about that. no need to get in trouble, but the back yard is a bit small and I dont have anything I can tow a trailer with...

Any thoughts, advice, good places etc?

Chris

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Who owns the power lines? Call them and ask.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Powerlines usually make use of a Right of Way. In that case the Powerlines are on private land. In the case that the land is owned or leased by the power company, they do not want you on their property and will enforce that to the fullest extent possible.

Crzyfrlss1

Apr 5, 2006
I used to live in MA and ride there quite often still.

Most people including the power company and some police departments in MA actually encourage you to ride or 4X4 on the power line roads out there, it keeps the trails from getting overgrown.

The only reason you'll ever get in trouble is if somebody complains or you're terrorizing someone, so ride quietly near peoples residences.

And it helps to have a registered bike, the Enviromental Police out there like to see that.

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
I have ridden and seen LOTS of quads and bikes on them. But was not sure what the current state of affairs was here.

Any good places in the Attleboro areas? I know there are some state forests in the vacinity (wrentham/Franklin/Foxboro). But I'm not registered yet and per the state and the rain they are currently closed...

2Loud

Sep 20, 2006
Attleboro

Not sure where in Attleboro you live, but don't even try riding on the powerlines near Hill Roberts in S. Attleboro. It's private land, the power company just has an easement/RoW. Too many kids/teens/whatever are riding with loud bikes, riding during or right after rain and tearing up the land, causing huge ruts or making new trails thru fragile areas.

I joined this forum just to tell responsible riders to not even attempt to ride there, as there has lately been a large influx of riders, half of whom don't seem to care after I warn them to not trespass again or just try to run me down.

Top Bottom