350thumper

Oct 25, 2002
My 85 xt350 needs mirrors.
Does it need two mirrors for inspection?
Did it come with two mirrors?

There is only one boss for a mirror and it is on the brakes.
If it only had one mirror, I would imagine it would be on the left side.

Also, I am looking at the ken sean mirrors on bajadesigns.com
Does anyone know if they are any good, or would I be better off with the Acerbis mirrors on the same page as the ken sean mirrors.

Thanks,
dan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It might depend on your state, but in CA only 1 mirror is required - I think it has to be on the left side. I believe your XT did come with 2 mirrors originally.

The Acerbis mirror does not work well at all! It constantly moves out of position, vibrates, the cheesy screws strip, etc... The Ken Sean mirror is much better, but does not come with a mount. Instead of buying a mount, I tapped a bark buster bar mount to the right thread. Worked fine.

350thumper

Oct 25, 2002
I did just put some bark busters on. Your saying that the mirror itself is screwed into the bark buster?
How thick are your bark busters and how thick are the studs on the ken sean mirrors?
I need to know if the bark busters I put on will be thick enough for the mirrors.

Thanks for the great Idea.'
dan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I should clarify - I used a SPARE bark buster mount for the mirror. Many people mount their bark busters to the fork pinch bolts on the top triple clamp using custom mounts. This gives more room for levers, allows you to run a shorter handle bar and prevents the busters from twisting during a crash.

The stud on the Ken Sean mirror is a metric thread, 10 mm I think, designed to fit a Japanese dual sport mirror mount. My guess is your XT orignally came with a left side lever perch that had a boss to accept the Ken Sean mirror.

The bark buster mount is threaded for a slihglty smaller SAE standard thread - I think 3/8". It is aluminum and easily rethreaded with a tap, if you have one.

You can save yourself the trouble and buy an already threaded mirror mount from Baja Designs - they are on the same page as the mirrors and I am sure they fit the Ken Sean. They look alot like the bark buster mount I used.

Last edited:

350thumper

Oct 25, 2002
Thanks for the info.
I will probably be ordering the mirrors and mounts tomorrow.
Then my bike will be completely street legal. :yeehaw:

dan

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
here is a break down on pennsylvania state inspection laws for motorcycle mirrors.

at least one rear view mirror
mirrors not broken,cracked or discolored
mirrors hold adjustment
mirrors should provide an unobstructed view to the rear for no less than 200 ft
mirros shall provide a minumum reflective surface of 12 1/2 square inches for a flat mirror 10 sq inches for a convex mirror

if my remembrance of the area of a circle is correct <pi X diameter?> one 3 1/4 "round convex mirror should be close to the 10 sq " or one 4"round flat mirror for the 12 sq inches.

that is right out of the state inspection test booklet from 1988 and I have never recieved any revisions on mirror laws.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom