lengthening tie rods for MX

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
To change the fork angle from 27 degrees to something close to 30 degrees I had the tie rods on the UNITRAK lengthened 6mm. I did that to make the bike less squirrelly on the MX track. I practiced today and it definitely did help without screwing up its ability to turn. Well actually the track was perfectly tacky today and so I still need to test it when the track is dry. But I was able to do a few passes on the inside without using a berm.
The downside is that 6mm is probably a bit too much since on one part of the track the rear tire was bottoming and scraping clean the fender. It also has the rear end 1+1/4" less tall which I do notice.

Last edited:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I built & installed a set of rods 7mm longer and have to agree that it's too long --I'm wearing out my rear fender also. You can turn up the preload to where it won't bottom but that kind of defeats their purpose. I've just finished a second set that are 116mm [3 1/2mm longer than stock and will install them this week. At 5' 6" 120lbs, the bike is just too tall for me in certain terrain.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Yes I'd agree that 3.5mm is probably perfect to allow just a little space between a new rear tire and the rear fender. That's what I'll change mine too. I think models '95 on up actually have even more space back there to lower than the 89-94 models.
I was just searching for a web site for adjustable length tie rods and couldn't find it. I had seen it a couple months back. Anyone know of it?

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I'm aware of that site. They sell three different length tie rods for 95 and up KDXes but they aren't adjustable.

Robcolo, please tell me what year your bike is. Do you still have the originals that are unmodified? If so then what do you measure between the holes?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
My KDX is a '99 and the stock pull rods are 112.5mm [actually stamped on them] center to center. I' installed my 116s last night but didn't ride it.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
My stock ones were close to 126.5mm
I'm going to make some tomorrow 130mm center to center with the holes drilled by a 15mm bit (whereas the originals had 16mm holes which allowed slop).

Devol used to sell adjustable tie rods but now they just sell rods for the Honda XR's.

Top Bottom