Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'm going to the Hangtown National next weekend in Sacramento and I'm planning on bringing my 70-200L 2.8 and my new (yay!) 24-105L 4.0. I figure I'll use the 24-105 for all of the shots in the pits and then mount the 70-200 for all of the race action.

I'm wondering if you guys find that 200mm is enough reach (assuming that I've got a normal fan's track access...behind the fence). I'm planning on walking the track quite a bit, so I should be closer at some points than at others.

There's no way I can drop coin on another lens, but I was kicking around the idea of picking up a 1.4x teleconverter if I needed a little more reach. I have a feeling that I'll be close enough at the fence for most of the shots, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone felt the 200mm might be too limiting. I'd much rather not spend the money on a tc, but any feedback is more than welcome.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I have the Sigma 1.4X converter that I bought to use on my 70-200 for action shots, but quite honestly it made the focus speed seem like half the speed. IQ is fine with the 1.4, but the focus speed just makes it a no go for me.

You should be fine with 200mm, but I can't say for sure because I've never been there.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
With the 1.6 crop of your body, you should be good with the 200. I tried a 1.4 as well. Sold it after the first time out.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
As an example while not the greatest shot here is what I got last weekend at the Loretta qualifier from about 60 yards away with my 70-200. You should be much closer at the national, I just saw this battle developing and shot it from across the spectator area because I didn't want to move and loose an angle I had already
v6.jpg

v5.jpg

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Thanks guys! I think I'll give it a shot with the 70-200 and forget about the tc.

I'm toying with the idea of shooting exclusively in Manual this year, but we'll see how that goes.

Top Bottom