SICC_AIR

Jul 23, 2001
Im looking into buying a lifted truck. DO any of you use lifted truck to haul your bike. with 6 inches or so of lift and 36 inch tires. I though of making some sort of hoist. Im not sure how well a ramp would work. What do you all think i should do? I would rather not use a trailor.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
At least with the newer fullsize 4x4 trucks(my assumptions), the bed height of the chevy starts out lower than the others so this height will be lower after the lift as well. The ramp will work but it will have to be longer to get the same slope as you may be used to. I would advise using a ramp that's a bit wider to leave more room for error. Allso, have something to step up onto to guide your bike into the truck like a crate. A longer ramp may not fit into the bed nicely and if you tip the bike over near the top it's a long way down.

Now for something you didn't ask for. Most lifted trucks are half ton gassers with about 3.73 gears. Unless you change the gearing, read $, you will lose mileage and power with those large tires. The lift will add wind resistance and you will lose even more. Do you intend to use the truck to off road with? Then get a jeep or toyota. I'm all for correcting a factory deficiency like lifting a half ton chev 4 inches to put 33 inch tires under it. But for a bike hauler ... stock height is probably best.

Now if you find a diesel with extra low gearing, the tires may help fix the too low factory gearing.

Whatever you buy, enjoy it.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Ditto. Speaking from experience, hauling bikes in a lifted rig is a pain. Sure, you look cool (in your opinion), but everything else is a hassle. The best way, IMO, is longbed, 4x2, extra cab. Better mileage, more comfort, less to break.

But, if you're 17, pimple-faced & feel the need to purchase big window stickers- you might as well go for the biggest rig you can afford. We need someone to laugh at;)

SICC_AIR

Jul 23, 2001
thanks

Yep im a 16 year old pimple faced kid
I will use this truck off-road and i have figured itto be cheaper than a jeep.
Jeeps are fj are very expensive in my area and for the type of wheelin i do i need a longer wheelbase. THanks for the suggestion though
Im going to buy 72 swb 4x4 6 inch rancho 35's 4.11
I guess im going to be using a trailor. This truck is not a pretty truck its a REAl truck.
THanks for all the help
I have often pondered on frabricating some sort of hoist??? any ideas?????
Im not buying this truck to look cool. THe lift is the correct amount to clear
the tires with a little fender trimming of the front fenders.
I understand the issues with gas. I know this is a small block carbed mill. This truck does have a 700r tranny so i have an overdrive.

Any ideas for a big sticker in the window???

thanks for the help

Last edited:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
At least you picked a cool truck, the 60 something to 72s have the best body style. One of my favorites is the blazer of that era. 35s aren't that bad, you'll still be lucky to get 10 mpg but gas is made to be burnt, right? Good deal on the 700r4, it'll help some.

I four wheeled a toyota for quite awhile and must say these things don't break. I've been on trips with groups of them, some from the early 80s that just keep on going. But it seems a chev is what you want so go for it.

Maybe a bigarse rebel flag sticker across the back window, and don't forget a gun rack in that ol' rusty chev. Try to keep the sun off your neck so it doesn't get any redder.

SICC_AIR

Jul 23, 2001
lol highbeam
i love these trucks too best ever sure do have some high quality parts too.
1/8 inch sheetmetal hehe
I doesnt have a 700r but i picked the wrong truck if i am worried about gas.
Maybe ill borrow my dads rig to take my bike.
Just need to sell my that thing with 4 wheels and no suspension travel and power in my driveway to afford a bike.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I had a '69 Chev 3/4ton 2wd, 4.10s, 350 with a TH400. It had a cam, carb, a shift kit, an Aurora electronic ignition, and dual 2 1/4" exhaust out the back. When I drove it real nice it got 9mpg.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
"There's more to life than miles per gallon"

"I love to hear the horses rumble underneath the hood"

You've got to pay to play and as long as you know what you're getting then don't worry about it. I commute with a 16 mpg chev instead of a 50 mpg geo metro, sure it's not the best way to go for $/mile but I grin every time I hear the thunder. I would be sad if I had a car.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
bike lift

you said you might be interested in fabricating a system to lift your bike in the back of the truck. if you put a roller on the end of the tail gate, a winch in the back of the bed against the cab, a guide track, and a pice of like u-beam steal that can pivot off the back and then get pulled back up and into the bed with the winch, with the bike on it that might work....its kinda like a combination jet-ski trailor, and tilt-snowmobile trailor. and could be made relatively cheap as long as you buy a hand-crank winch.
good luck sounds bad ass
Tim

SICC_AIR

Jul 23, 2001
exactyl highbeam

kawierider that sounds like a good idea. Im going to start to draw some plans up.
Ill let you know whati end up doing

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
It's not THAT tall.. juat get a REAL good 12" wide plank and ride the bike into the back of the truck :) and getting the bike down isnt that much harder, just get down on a knee and jump with the bike.

Please tell us your over 5 foot 6??? :uh:

Top Bottom