little help

chook

May 26, 2005
hey guys i own a 1997 kdx 200 with the following gnarly torque pipe,power core 2 silencer,airbox snorkel removed with the opening cut about half a size bigger.anyway on the weekend i went riding on fast sandy tracks (wet) and my bike didnt have the power to go into 6th gear without loosing serious rpm,it was fine in fifth.i was running the bike slightly rich cos i knew the tracks were sandy and i would be at high rpm all day.the thing that really bothered me about it was a guy i was riding with had a kdx200 96 and he kicked my arse and said his bike was going fine in sixth any suggestions?

at the end of the day the plug was a slightly dark brown,what i wanted i think?

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Same gearing between the two bikes? Tire sizes?

You're running the Gnarley Torque pipe, and I've been told (I'm running a rev pipe on a 220) that you're sacrificing RPM at the top for more grunt down low...

What mods did your friend have on his bike?

Feanor

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Mine screams in 6th gear with the -35 (torque) pipe and a 'Q' silencer. What is your jetting? Elevation? Temperature?

chook

May 26, 2005
gearing on both bikes was exactly the same 13 up front 50 rear
his bike runs a fmf fatty with a pro circuit pipe not sure on model
i went with standard jetting 48pilot 160main for the sand
temp about 18c 64f
elevation~sea level
on premium pump gas 32:1

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
All other things being sano and up to snuff--I think your primary jet is way rich. I would try something like a 42 and then work on properly jetting the main. It is probably a little rich (big) also, but in sand at high rpms pulling is where engines seize. Remember this and other opinions here are worth about what they cost! Remember every bike is different as are conditions. Ride Safe John

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
A 45 pilot is about as big as I would consider in your situation. A 158 or 155 main would be my starting point for deep sand.

chook

May 26, 2005
cheers fallas i recently got a selection of jets ill start experimenting this weekend

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…