MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Marie, Emily and I spent our second weekend in a row camping at Bowman's Bridge campground, we liked it that much. It was a last-minute decision, which seems to be the norm around here lately. I took the trailer and group up Thursday night, and went to work from Baldwin on Friday. I then went and picked up Ben, under protest, to join us for a couple days. He made sure we knew he was miserable, so we sent him out of there Saturday. Geez, 16 year-olds, especially stubborn ones, are a pain.

Anywho, I heard from Jeff Allen after about 7 months of silence, and he wanted to go riding. So we arranged to meet up there Sunday am. After checking my voicemail up in Baldwin on Saturday, I had a message from The Sparkey, who had talked to Badgerman and found out I was riding up there, maybe solo. So with a fast-depleting battery on my cell phone I quick hooked Sparkey and Jeff up for a ride to Baldwin together.

I was originally thinking the Big O out of the campground (across the street and 100 yards down) would be a good time, having perused it a bit on Saturday morning and finding it was in a LOT better shape than post-Rites of Spring. But I remembered Jeff's bike is not licensed, so I figured a trip to the Lincoln Hilss would be better. However, because of all of the rain on Saturday night, I remembered the sponge bath Rob426, Young Ted and I got last weekend on the LIttle Manistee single track. I didn't want that again, so I felt the Little O would be better since that is mostly open and we wouldn't get slapped by wet leaved. So, Sunday morning when the two of them arrived at my campsite we loaded my bike in Jeff's pickup, myself in Sparkey's pickup, we headed to 32nd Avenue.

Sparkey suggested a shortcut, but I quickly protested, having remembered my experience with a "shortcut" to park my truck for a mid-point gas stop (that "shortcut" added 40 miles to my odometer, for a route that should be 10 at most).

There were a few vehicles in the lot, and three guys were getting ready to go out the same time. One was a little guy, about 10, the other his dad, the other his dad's dad or older brother. The little guy had all the high-zoot gear, the other two had a jersey, jeans and the boots they came in with. The youngster impressed me with his initial riding experience on his little PW 90. He handled that parking lot well.

Sparkey reminisced about the Rites of Spring again, filling in Jeff on my having locked everyone's gas can with a chain, then forgetting to provide the right key for the padlock. He described how we had to rotate the cans in place one at a time so everyone could gas up. Chuckles and guffaws ensued at my expense, but hey, that's what makes memories, so I don't mind. Besides, you all got your gas, didn't you? Quit whining anyway!! :)

So off we went, with 3 two strokes managing not to foul a plug out of the chute is promised to be a fine day. I felt pretty good today, so I was hoping for a good ride. I brought the right mix of stuff to hopefully prevent hypoglycemia like the last time I rode.

The signs of an interesting ride showed up quickly. Right out of the chute we noticed all of the standing water in the low spots. Heck, I thought, the LIttle O is mostly sand, this will clear up in a little while. Ha, what narrow-minded thought!

The traction, where there wasn't water, was great because of the rain we had the night before. This was probably my last ride on my KTM, and it felt really good. The jetting was off a little, but otherwise it ran strong. I've really been satisfied with the suspension this year, and feel kind of bad having to sell this bike. But home finances come first, and impending medical bills dictate some of my "stuff" has to go...

Remember I said the puddles should go away! Not! They just got deeper and deeper. Jeff and my feet were soaked, and the inside of our boots sloshed with water. Sparkey was wearing Sidi's and his feet were dry. Quiz question - which boot do you think I'm buying next??

We stopped for a Jeff-smoke-break, and the three guys we saw in the parking lot caught up to us, with the kid far in the lead. His name was Matt, and again he really caught my attention because he was obviously so into bikes. He came over to me and eyed my KTM with wonderment and said "for my next bike I really want a KTM". Smart kid! He then went over to Jeff's bike and said "puke yellow piece of ....t" No, not really, but I had to say that for Jeff (if he ever comes back on this site). The kid's dad said that he just got that PW90 this year, and he's already worn out a set of chain and sprockets. He rides that bike EVERY day. This really helped me recall memories of how I felt about bikes about that same age. I couldn't think about anything else, and I rode the CT90, and then the DT175, that I had each and every day, including the wintertime. It's neat to see a kid so into bikes, it helps continue our sport.

So we trucked along and finally came to a super-fast section that was basically free of water except at the bottom of each whoop (where there were some). The Little O, like the Big O, had been groomed post-Rites, and it was in pretty good shape. We all really opened it up on this section after being tired of creeping through engine-deep water sections. If you sailed across the whoops, you could avoid the water in the bottom of each. About half-way through this, I caught a stump with my foot. In a split-second I moved my foot out quick enough for it to avoid being smashed between the stump and my footpeg. I didn't think my nerve cells moved that fast anymore. Good thing or I'd be on crutches right now.

Back in the newer twisty stuff on the southwest end of the loop, the water got really nasty looking. It looked like if you were to fall in this water you would end up with every vile disease known to man. The frogs even avoided this swill.

Speaking of frogs, I found it ironic that, when I approached each puddle, frogs would jump INTO the water, certain to meet their death by knobbycide. Hmm, guess there's not much gray matter in those little buggers.

I had to scoot back quickly to load up the trailer and the family that were waiting for me, so I took of down the road on my KTM. This helped clean out the pipe as I always load that thing up. I'm sure I smogged a few hundred mosquitos in the process. As I was going through the suburbs of West Baldwin, a big coyote went high-tailing it across the road in front of me. Very cool. He was obviously up to no good right in town. Later when we were leaving with the trailer we noticed a bunch of strewn garbage on one of the side roads just east of the spot I saw the coyote.

All in all it was a fine weekend. I find that camping like this really helps get my mind off of all of the stuff I'm having to deal with. I can actually go for hours and forget about the Big C!

Badgerman, I saw a picture of the 37" brown trout at Baldwin Bait and Tackle. It's a real picture, but the guy there wasn't so sure it was caught on the Pere Marquette. Also, the Kings are in the Little Manistee! Time to get the big fly rods out!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Man and I was up there Sunday too. Thats ok cause I doubt my son woulda survived 38 miles of that swill. But it sure sounds like you had a good time.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Yeah I wanted to figure out how to link up with you, but with our last minute decision, I forgot the directions you posted here. Let's let the rain soak in and try it again soon!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Mark - GREAT WRITE UP!!
Thanks for taking the time to fill us in on yet another "Mweissen and Family fun time".
Sounds like you are going to miss that Katoom but that CRE should be a perfect stand in. I know all about the added expenses that a medical situation can bring on but hey, we cant stop enjoying life (and you obviously have not!!). You are a TRUE encourager!
I really enjoyed your comments about the youngster that you met (Mat). That brought back soooo many mems of my childhood as it did for you!! Only thing different about then and now is how much COOL stuff is out there for kids these days!! Man, what I wouldnt have given for a YZ85 back when I was a youngster!!! I would have sold one of my sisters for one of those bikes back then :) What am I saying, I would sell one of my sisters for one NOW hahahahaha!
Glad to hear you guys had fun dodging mudholes and meeting new trail friends!
Thanks for the report!
Woodsy

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
MWEISSEN said:
Also, the Kings are in the Little Manistee! Time to get the big fly rods out!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)

We'll have to deal with those Kings when I am through dealing with the Pinks, Reds, and Silvers!

Glad to hear that you able to hook up with Sparkey and JA. Sounds like you had a good ride.

TF

Top Bottom