DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Well after it being on and off because of weather and work I couldn't stand it any more and called my friend who where there and talked him into staying and riding Sunday afternoon with me. I am glad he did. It only ended up being a two hour trip from Stillwater, okay I got off work an hour later than expected and drove 80. Not too far west of Enid I started seeing sandy looking terrain and about went nuts. I got there and bought a flag, bracket and two hose clamps from a guy who was leaving for $15 bucks, customized it with a hammer and away we went. It took a little while to get used the the paddle tire and needing to stay on the gas to have control. I could tell by the exhaust note that going up on the main jet was a good idea. It sounded a little deeper than what I am used to and it pulled hard with the paddle on. Traction, O man it was dial a wheelie. For me the most fun was hammering through the whoops, they were everywhere, big long rolling sections of whoops, I started out going through them in third and by days in I was blasting through them in 4th. I had a blast in the big flat spot in back where everyone drag races. It isn't often that I get to flog 5th gear. Never did take to the air that much, was having too much fun trying to carve turns on the side of hills. Did I have fun? O yeah! :yeehaw: It looks like it is going to rain this whole week and will be too wet to ride track or trail. Paddle is still on and bike is jetted. Guess where I am going next week. To top it off, I got a free tent out of the deal. Some guys left it because it had mud in it. It also reeked of Mary Jane! Nothing a little trip to the car wash shouldn't take care of.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Sounds like a good time! If it's wet enough I may think about going (no paddle). Was anyone riding with knobbies, if so did they seem to work?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Jeremy didn't have a paddle on his bike and he had no problems. We traded bikes after a while and I was really shocked by how well it did. There were actually quite a few people who were not using paddles. You will have a blast. I guarantee it.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
mx547 will be glad to hear of your conversion to duneism. he always wants to ride out there. of course i have fun too but it is at the threshold of my wannadrivethatfar. we will have to get the spodes together and make a weekend of it.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
another one's innocence lost. :debil:

man, i love that place. wait until you get to camp there and live the whole experience. it's like no other. those guys are out there riding all nite.

i have ridden there a couple of times with a knobby (when i was too lazy to change it). it's just a little slower taking off. once you're on top of the sand it's no problem. was there any water in the ponds? the last few times i went they were all dried up (no hydroplaning).

i'll turn you into a jumper before it's all over. :cool:

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Person8,
It is in NW Oklahoma, West of Enid on HWY 412 about 50 miles to HWY 14 then 12 miles north... Closest town is Waynoka...

Derek,
Sounds like you had a blast! How tall are the dunes out there?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by motox757 How tall are the dunes out there? [/B]
The info I found says 25-75 feet and that sounds pretty accurate to me. It also stated that it was 1400 acres.

Jay, there were several ponds and I thought about giving them a try but decided to hold off. I have an active imagination and most of the results that my mind pictured were bad. Now if someone else was there and went first and made it look easy. I might give it a try.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I tried the hydro drill at Muenster and it is waaaay cool! I want to go real bad.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
hydroplaning is one of the most fun things you can do on a dirtbike. and it takes no skill whatsoever. the water's edge must be flat. if there's any drop-off at all, it won't work-you will drop the front wheel. you must be wide open in fifth gear (fourth for you bswift), tapped. the more speed you have the easier it is to make it. you must remain steady on the bike, no weight shifting. do not clutch, do not downshift. do not let off the gas until you are all the way on the other bank. if you are hesitant, don't try it. it's all or nothing.

60 mph on top the water. what an awesome feeling... :thumb:

Attachments

• hydro.jpg
    hydro.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 363

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
OMG!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
That's an incredible pic. Looks like fun. .

There are dunes in Albany, GA that I would like to hit, but nobody ever replies to my threads. It kinda sucks that all the GA members seceded from DRN. :silly:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Okay, you are crazier than I thought! I was thinking 3rd gear pinned, not 5th. Glad I didn't try it last week I would have sank for sure.

tangell

Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by mx547
60 mph on top the water. what an awesome feeling... :thumb:

I would very much enjoy *watching* someone do this. :-) Awesome pic by the way!

Okay, I've been thinking about going to Little Sahara but I figured it would stink without paddles. And even with paddles, I figured steering would be frustrating as heck. Is it better to go when it's wet, or does it matter?

Toby

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
it's better when wet but it's not that important. the biggest factor is the wind. it can really blow out there sometimes. if you're not into jumping then the wind doesn't matter. you can have a great time out there without doing the jumps. you can just ride around wide open all day.

one more water pic...

Attachments

• jayh2o.jpg
    jayh2o.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 166

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Nice pics! How deep is that pond? I'd like to see someone else do it before I attempted it. If it was not deep I would do it.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
OK Jay...fess up! How many times did you *not* make it and who has those pictures?!?

I tried to do it at the edge of the Red River (where the shoreline curved in) near Muenster, TX in 4th on my 620 and found that that was not near fast enough. (Never went down, just never got on top of the water either).

BADXR400

Nov 8, 2001
I have a few questions for you guys that have been there.

Do many ride there motorcycles, or is it mainly for quads?

Some of you spoke about camping....what type of facilities do they have?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
OK Jay...fess up! How many times did you *not* make it and who has those pictures?!?

i've gotten pretty wet but never went down. if you can find a place where the approach is good, you never fail. i bet we saw 5-6 atv's drown out one day. they were all going too slow.

the dunes are for everybody but it's mostly quads. alot of buggies too. we always ride bikes but we are always in the minority.

they have two campgrounds. some sites are primitive, some have water and electric. they have real, heated bathrooms with showers and hot water. most sites have at minimum a picnic table and a fire pit. it's not the place to go if you like it quiet at nite. if you have a light, you can ride 24/7.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
If anybody is skeptical about riding the dunes without a paddle, don't worry. I never put a paddle on my XR, and it flew out there. I've tried a paddle once on my 300, and didn't really care for it. It allowed me to easily climb short approach hills, other than that I didn't think it was worth the time and effort to mount the paddle every time I go to the dunes. Also seemed to have a real "bouncy" feel on the fast, whooped-out roads.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
tx246 sailing off a dune back when he was a kawie rider.

Attachments

• genekx.jpg
    genekx.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 136

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
answering HLG question. about 4ft in the middle. where i crashed, about 2feet deep. i was losing speed and thought slipping the clutch would be a good idea to spin the motor up. wrong. front wheel dropped in the water and it felt like someone grabbed my front wheel. i did my first on the water stoppie and proceeded over the bars. after i got out of the water, i decided to just take pics of 547. pretty good pics for a cheapie 35mm. i did get extra water while taking those shots.

Last edited:

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
GO TO THE DUNES, THEY ROCK!!
sorry, had to let it out. ;)

i have never been to the oklahoma dunes, but there are some around here that i took my TT-R to, and even I had fun. no paddle, no power, b-i-i-i-i-g fun. also b-i-i-i-i-g air. i have heard people say that they don't have fun on 125's, because of the low power. you should have seen the faces on some of those people when i unloaded a TT-R125L with a knobbie on the back...:eek: :scream:

if anyone is considering doing it, DO IT!!! dunes ROCK, and they are even better if it rains before you go or lightly while you are there. the sand is not dusty, somewhat packed, and better traction for those w/o paddles. personally, i like the primitive camping- in my case, a tent on the soft sand with a hole dug for a fire pit and a jumbo-size bag of peanuts accompanying hot dogs and "coke" (empty coke can, adult beverage inside :p ) the dunes are really cool because you can hone your cornering skills with the deep sand and that sand helps cusion you when/if you fall. overall, dunes rock.

did you get that? DUNES ROCK!! :confused:

Top Bottom