maddmack

Dec 7, 2004
use two ramps

I ride a older cr500 and at first I used 2 ramps (2*10s) beside each other one to walk on and one for the bike.You could even use three and there cheap to buy. now Iam lazy and a little crazy i just ride up one

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I see more accidents loading/unloading bikes than anywhere else. Having tried lots of different methods I think the safest way to get a bike up to 4x4 height - ie the only way that has always worked with no problems - is to ride it up the ramp. In full gear of course. 8"x2"x6' ramp

Getting a bike off seems like more of an issue to me. I prefer to sit on the bike and roll down backwards again in full gear. Never had a problem doing that tho it apparently looks dangerous :p. But the amount of times I see ppl dropping their bikes while unloading......

The banshee is another story. Can't ride it up because of traction issues - it tends to slide sideways off ramps if there's the slightest bit of mud or water around. I only use a 6'x4' trailer for that now, barely a foot off the ground.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Riding it up the ramp?

That's crazy if you ask me. If you ever have any problem, your feet are now several feet from the ground. No thanks.

I just purchased the easiest solution: a tri-fold ramp at Sam's Club. The ramp was $87.04 and is about 45" wide and 77" long. You strap it to the bumper with one of your tie downs and it can't slide away from the truck and dump you on your head. Then you can walk a bike up the ramp or even ride it up and still have a place to put your feet if something goes wrong. It will also work for an ATV in the back of a truck. It beats a 2x8" by a longshot. Yeah, it was more money than a 2x8, but dropping your bike once off of that 2x8 will more than cover the purchase price. Because I don't know about you, but when I drop my bike like that, I seem to damage expensive things like pipes, radiators, and the like. Or maybe just a clutch lever, but only when I don't have a spare on hand.

Top Bottom