Local Track Owners Legal Defense Fundraiser

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I cut and pasted this from our local Kansas Offroad website. Please take a look at it, and PM or e-mail w/ any suggestions/help.

From Kansas Offroad:

I don't know if I am violating any rules here, but I think we should help these guys out. The owners of Grindstone fought a legal battle which was financially draining, just to keep the land accessible for all of us. Big corporate dollars paid for the plaintiffs to run the defense out of cash and no money is left for appeals. I don't know if it too late to appeal, but if we raise enough money, maybe they can. If not, we can hand over a gift that says "thanks for fighting, hope this helps". These guys lost big time, 45K to be exact. A 45K loss would just about stop me from ever wanting anything to do w/ anybody again, but yet Chris is still smiling and hopeful. Wished me and my family a wonderful Christmas, even though his holiday is tough after that financial loss. In his words, "I've never been this broke".

My plan is simple. If all of the racers and riders in our series as well as the people who frequent this site could give something (anything...$10) to help these guys out. Like I said in the Grindstone post, I'm in for $100. Whaddya all think?

Wade Wasinger
Forward Motion #220
05 KTM 250EXC

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
This stems from a nuiscance suit filed by a neighboring landowner to the 160 acre facility, privately co-owned...so this nailed two families.

The plaintiff has ties to green groups and was very vocal about her disdain for off-roaders. As it turns out, her husband had unlimited legal benefits through his UAW benefits. In other words, Ford paid all these legal costs, no matter how frivelous they were. The laws, as well as noise level evidence collected from the property supported the track. The county is unzoned, the noise levels were RULED ambient...the same level as normal conversation in the courtroom. Yet, a slanted local judge ignored the law, ignored the evidence and ruled in favor of the plaintiffs.

These guys were now not only out of business, but couldn't even ride on their own property for leisure. A silly chainsaw could actually violate the ruling. All in all, after losing 45K in legal costs, they don't have the money to appeal, which they have been assured they could win as this ruling was done w/ no basis on law. Even if it is too far gone for these guys and their families, they fought for right to ride and lost a ton of money. I want to help them out. Plain and simple, when a guy fights for what is right, he shouldn't have to take a screwin like this, especially when it hurts the families. I've donated to lots of riding buddies (even bought a bike for a buddy down on luck) and people I don't even know...I sure would appreciate some help this time.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Sounds to me that if you (they) found the right lawyer, they should be able to recoup their legal fees (and maybe even sue for damages).

I'd contact the Blue Ribbon Coalition and the AMA. That's what those guys are supposedly for.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I contacted BRC and AMA while this was still taking place as did a couple of others here in the KC area...no reply at all. These guys were really out on an island on this fight

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Thanks Gomer, I am trying to figure out the safest way to do this since I don't use paypal. Give me a day to decide whether we are going to set up a trust fund here in KC or use our Kansas Offroad community chest as a place to donate. Actually, some suggestions for how to do this are very welcome, as I am pretty new at this part.

Thanks again!. It sure would be nice to help these families out

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
There will be a paypal account set up just for this shortly, any help is appreciated

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom