Loggy Bottom Enduro - Gulfport, MS

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Loggy Bottom Enduro
Gulfport Mississippi
May 5th, 2002

I pulled into the campground about 5:00 on Friday afternoon. The drive in on the dirt road from the main highway confirmed my hunch that this area of southern Mississippi had had no rain the weeks prior to the event. It was definitely going to be dusty. I quickly located the Porter camp where my bike was waiting for me, and threw my bag into Bill’s motor home, my place to sleep for the night.

Bill and Wesley had already been through the sign up and penciled me in on their row. I cruised over to the sign up and came away with my renewed AMA receipt, a roll chart, and the row number 42C. I completed the programming of both of my computers, cleaned and oiled my air filter and did basic bike prep before we sat down to a steak dinner that Bill cooked up on the grill.

Shawn Sharp came by for a few minutes, and it was nice to put another face with a name that I knew from the Internet. Neely and John P. also stopped by so Neely could get signed up for the race. She decided to leave here XR parked between the Porter motor homes instead of taking it to the hotel. Neely was signed up on row 49, but said that she would move to our row if Ed didn’t show up to claim the last spot on our row.

We were all asleep by 10:15, and I slept great in air-conditioned comfort of Bill’s motor home. The rider’s meeting was uneventful, and they announced that we would be riding a few miles of paved road in the middle of the race. They ranted about the usual stuff, no unlicensed bikes on the USFS dirt roads.

When we rolled up to the starting area, we found that Neely had in fact been moved over to our row. We pulled up to the line, they flipped the cards, and off we went. The entire first loop of the race was a time keeping trail ride. The first few sections alternated between 17, 18 and 12-mph speed averages. At 17 MPH, the possibles are 1.7 miles apart, so we rode hot and stopped…repeat as necessary. Neely was never too far behind. It seems that we would stop on the side of the trail to let 45-55 seconds burn off, and just was we would fire up our bikes to be on our way, Neely would roll up and off we’d go.

At the gas stop, we all had zeros. I actually had a 0/17 since I entered the tie breaker check at 42:13. We gassed up and took into the section that had the paved road. The paved road section was 20mph average. We were a little leery that they might put a check on the road (like Wiggins back in ’95, lots of people burnt that check in the middle of a 7-mile road section). We rode up to where the trail took a hard right into the woods. We then guessed that a check would be at the next possible, and we were right.

Here’s where I made a timekeeping blunder. As we went down the paved road, I rolled my roll chart ahead to see what was coming up. I noticed that after the 20-MPH section, the speed average dropped back down to 12 MPH. So, I assumed that if we hit a check in the 20-MPH section, that it would just be there to catch people who got really hot on the road. I didn’t expect it to be a check in check. I thought that most of the 20-MPH section would be used up with the paved road.

So, we road up the check and zeroed it. Bill and Wesley took off with Wesley in the lead. I held back trying to conserve energy thinking that we were about to bump down the 12 MPH and I would get back on time then. I didn’t realize that we had right at about 3 miles until the speed dropped back down. I was already 1:45 minutes late when I realized my mistake. I then rode like a banshee, but could cut more that about 30 seconds off of my time. Sure enough, there was a check out at the first possible after the drop down to 12 mph. I dropped two there. Should have dropped one or maybe none if I had been on my toes. Oh well.

We rode the transfer to the next section where a restart awaited us. By now, it was starting to get really hot outside. I’d been drinking water and gator ade at every stop, but it didn’t seem to be working. (I also drank about a gallon of water on both Friday and Saturday.)

Wesley, Bill and I blast out of the restart in that order. For the first quarter of a mile, I was right on Bill’s back fender and was considering giving Bill a woo woo if he didn’t pick up the pace. Turn’s out I didn’t have to holler at him since I hit the wall. All of sudden, I had no energy. I kept moving at a pretty good pace, but I couldn’t push it. Then, I started to get the chills. OK, so I’m right on the edge of heat exhaustion. I backed it down another notch.

Fortunately, that section was only about 5 miles long. At the reset after that test, I found Bill and Wesley sitting under a tree. I staggered over and asked where our cooler with the water was. Turns out that our pit guy (Mike Reynolds, Taylor’s dad) had already left. So, I walked up to the closest truck and asked if they had some water I could dump over my head. They gave me a cold wash cloth out of there cooler and a power ade. After that I felt a little better.

We rode to the next reset where the short course people cut off. We drank more gator ade. I was feeling better and was trying to get myself hyped up for the last test section. We started at the final restart, and I of course let Bill and Wesley go first. I was keeping Bill in sight for quite a while until we came to a sharp left turn, the kind of turn where you would need a hinge in the middle of your bike to get around it. I jammed on the front brake and went down in a heap of dust and curse words. I could hear bikes approaching and since this was a very tight trail, I quickly struggled to get out of the trail. In my haste, I got a cramp in my left thigh. Ouucchh!! I got my bike started ad rolled out of the way just as two guys from row 45 showed up. I pulled over, let them by, tried to catch my breath, and drank about half of my Camel bak.

From there, I did not ride very fast to the end. I got a little bit of a second wind about 3/4ths of a mile before the final check, but it was too little too late. That last section was one curvy son of a beach. There wasn’t a straight longer than 10 feet. I was nothing but turn left, turn left, turn left some more, now turn right, turn more right, quick turn left, turn back right and so on and so on.

Oh well, it was hot, it was dusty, and it was fun. I’ll be back next year.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Good report Tim. I wasn't so lucky with my time keeping before the gas stop. I managed to burn two checks and I swear my computer was on time:uh: At the gas stop I complained to KDXfile that the first loop had been two easy. Don't ask me how but we managed to get going late out of the gas stop. Thus, KDXfile and I blasted down the road at top speed until we caught two cops heading in the same direction; by that time we were back on time and slowed way down:confused: The trails after the gas stop were a blast (finally some good single track). I felt good up until the short course cut off. My problem was I knew what was coming. Last year there was a sign up after the first bridge saying "Welcome to your nightmare". I also starting hitting the proverbial brick wall and crawled to the last check.

It was certainly hot and dusty and I almost coughed up a lung on the way back to B'ham. But the day was good, I didn't hurt myself or my bike so I consider that a victory.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I am glad I am not the only one who suffered. I remember getting hot and the chills too and things starting to not go as planned, "Uh, was that a turn back there?" "There's a tree! - Oh well"

I got hot at the gas and didn't get back on the trail until way late. I rode pretty hard and was doing pretty well until the monkey got me.
As I laid next to the trail dying, along comes this guy that offered me a plug earlier when I fouled one, Justin from Louisianna (bike just like mine, cool). A real nice guy. He parks it and kind of hits the ground. I give him my trail mix. We sport some conversation and I realize that I don't feel anymore like puking, passing out, and crying "mama" all at the same time. I also realize that I probably houred out. So I say, "we can do this." We both wonder if we are going to get out of the woods. Well, about 1/2 mile and a few minutes later there is the check AND the road. So close and didn't know it.

This was number 5 as far as enduros go. I haven't finished one yet although I have come close. I was hardly sore at all afterwards and had plenty of energy to drive home. Thank the Good Lord for IBUPROFIN! I am all ready to say, "thank you, may I have another!!!"

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
& i thought my buds & i were the only 1s to get going late out of the gas! i don't know how we managed that. i enjoyed the ride, but the heat got to me, some, too. i was a little frazzled due to a bike problem; i did a practice lap on sat. & when i got back to camp, my girlfriend said, "what's that black stuff pouring out of your bike?" i thought she was kidding until i saw it for myself. turned out tht i had blown the clutch cover gasket at the blackjack enduro i'd done the week before. rats! i ended up cobbing it together with silicon seal. during the race, i kept listening for weird, seized-crank type noises, but never heard any. fortunately, i got to quit at the short course cutoff, as is my privilege as an old guy. ended up dropping a 7 on the short course. have ordered a new gasket & a spare. see ya'll at clanton!

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
It turned out to be a very good race. Rocko and the guys know how to put on a fun and enjoyable race that tests the mind and body. I thought there should have been a short 4-5 mile test section ran before the gas...although I love a timekeeping event....

Our row was packed...I dont know who was managing the row numbers, but we wound up with 6 of us on row 24....except for our resident AA, everyone was railing on each other. It made the dust miserable..

Overall another good one...

Top Bottom