CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
I'm still in the search for a first bike.. I've looked at a couple 250's, and one 125.> They were all pretty beat - untill last night :)

Found a local kid selling his YZ125.. It is pretty solid and mint.. The father told me that he bent a shift fork this past spring, and they dropped it off at a shop to have the top and bottom rebuilt, trans rebuilt, and new clutch.. He has receipts to show.

The thing started right up, but then died (it was 5°F out, that may be why?) It took a minute to get started again, but was running lean.. I'm guessing from the crazy cold air?

The kid said it never did that before - but at the same time he doesn't ride in freezing temps like that..

I'm going back this saturday to have my friend test ride it for me. If it's good - it's mine :)

He said $1,100 OBO - seems decent, right?

Things it needs: New grips, new handlebar, brake pads, and maybe rear wheel bearings..

Other than that it's pretty mint..

Sound decent?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I don't know if its a good idea to be out ripp'in on a lean engine! But other that it sounds like a deal, offer him 800 before it seizes, or a 150 after it seizes!

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
We didn't even ride it.. Let it idle for about a minute.. That's about it..

We will be riding it this weekend.. I was wondering if the lean condition could be caused by the air temps being about 5°-10°..

How do you adjust the A/F ratio on these?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yea tell him $750 with the $$ in your hand, and he should bite. If not go up alittle bet, but its better to start off low then jst buy it, because most of the time. They will drop down. Unless he was like the guy we bought our camper off of.. he was a smart pickle. and we ended up paying the full price after 30min of trying to get him down.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Even $1000 for that bike would seem fair. All the parts you listed totals about $150, so I can't see getting him down to $750 for just that stuff.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well... you never know, there are people who would let that stuff go for that cheap, and with $750 in their hand its more of a bet that they will, then just keep offering them just a little more, act like you dont have any more money, and it SHOULD be yours.

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Well - ended up picking it up today.. Bike ran good - saw most likely what was causing the lean condition - where the carb went into that intake tube - the hose clamp was completely loose, and the carb was kinda just resting up against the tube..

I'm going to play with it a bit tomorrow night. Trans shifted mint, and it seems real nice.

Dude would not BUDGE on the price. Him and his father flat out said that if they don't get $1k they won't sell it. Produced $850 in receipts from a overhaul last year. He was asking $1100 - got it for $1000. That's what I was planning to spend on a bike so it works for me.

First bike - can't wait till spring :)

edit - here's a couple pics:

yz-1.jpg

yz-3.jpg

PS - Is it normal to have a tingly sensation in my pants when sitting on it?! :laugh: :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom