Feb 1, 2005
My wife is about 5'2 115 lbs. (according to her) :laugh: I am looking for a good starter bike that can lug her around some trails. I am looking for something that she can just put around on following me and my kiddos on some trails. I am looking for your advice because I myself just got off of sportbikes and on to the dirt. She has ridden the ttr 125 and liked it (never took it out of first gear) but, what else do you guys recommend. Is the Honda CRF100 too small? Is there a bike that you or your wife have been especially fond of. I just want something that will not scare her off. I have worked very hard to get her to this point...Thanks in advance. You guys are the best!!!

Michael

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
as a new owner (or owner's dad) of a TTR125, I'd say go for it. The e-start takes a lot of intimidation factor out of it. The flywheel is way heavy, so you can damn near drop the clutch when idling at a standstill and it'll still take off with a little gas! There's also the DRZ/KLX125, but I don't have experience with them. Then there's the big wheel models of them all, and the CRF150, but they may be a little tall. The CRF100 is a lot shorter.

hope it helps, man.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
XR is right. the TTR is bullet proof. it's a little tractor. My oldest boy moved up to this bike, andf has since thn moved on to a bigger bike, but I just don't have the heart to letr it go. it's been that good of a bike. the only things we did to it, was upgrade to a o-ring chain, (the stock chain couldf breajk, and punch a hole in the case) and a different exh tip. We didn't have the E-button on his, but it always started well after he dropped it. Now my wife follows her boys with this bike. the CRF100 may be alittle too small, and the 150 is too tall. go for the TTR, you wont be sorry.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
im 5' 6" and the CRF150F felt okay, but a little small. if she's only 5' 2" 115, then i'd suggest either the CRF150F or the TTR125. is price an issue? personally i like the CRF230F. and im planning on getting one soon. it was gonna be the end of March. but its not gonna happen. the 2004 CRF150F is $2,899 US.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
My wife is 5'1" and never rode before I got her the TTR 125. It has been the perfect bike for her. It doesn't intimidate her at all, but she really hasn't opened it up much yet. All in all, it's a great bike!

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I had an '84 XR100 when I was a teenager and I rode that thing places you would not believe. Not very fast, mind you, but I got there. Any XR100 or small CRF (100, 150) would be a fine starter bike for her, with her size. I weighed way more than her when I stopped riding that bike. You can probably find a used XR for around $1000 and they start really easily. When her skills outgrow it, one of the kiddos can inherit it and get the wife a bigger bike.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
TTR125 with the magic button is about the best choice you'll find. Low intimidation factor and push button starting with little to break when it gets dropped. Next up would be the CRF150 but no button.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
My wife is similar size and rides a CRF150. Really looked at the TTR at the time, but decided to stay with the Honda. Started to worry about the purchase decision after the first ride because of starting.

These things are jetted so lean from the factory that starting sucks. I uncorked it and put the power up needle/jetting in it and the sucker starts damn near first kick every time. Starting is no longer an issue.

In my opinion, you really can't go wrong with either bike, but probably will be frustrated with either until break in and fine tuning is completed. The moral of the story is: If you can do it, break it in and take out the bugs prior to the wife putting time on it as it will probably save both of you plenty of frustration.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
When she's learning the magic button is a huge bonus.

Yeah, it may start with one or two kicks the "old-fashioned" way. But when she's just stalled it for the fifth time in a row, two kicks is two too many, if you know what I mean.

An E-start TTR125 with a set of handguards (to keep from breaking a lever) is about the most frustration-free learner you can get. Easy to get restarted and no broken levers to leave her stranded without a clutch or brake.

Given the "I've worked hard to get her to this point" statement, I wouldn't buy anything but the E-start TTR125. It's the one most likely to leave nothing but favorable memories in her mind and that's the most important thing at this stage of the game. Yeah, once she learns and starts really enjoying herself you might have to replace it, but a few extra bucks is better than "I don't like riding" in my book.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i have to agree with MTK. someone i know rides a TTR125 and he likes it. it seems to be a nice bike. there is a hill (not going into too much detail) thats looks like this /. and the first half is about 70 feet up. the ttr125 can go about 50 feet up that. because at about the half way mark there is a little cliff type of deal thats like vertical. and the ttr125 gets up that like nothing. im not saying its too fast for her. but it will move at a pretty good clip. and i've ridden with the ttr125 to a bridge that we were fixing up so horses could go over it.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
83MX80 said:
there is a hill (not going into too much detail) thats looks like this /.

:rotfl:

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I bought my wife a drz125 with the bigger wheels. It's the perfect size and power for a beginner. However, she did have trouble starting it sometimes because she did not have enough leg power to give it a good spin to get it started....Especially in a sticky situation. I would definitely recommend the ttr with electric start. Or anything with electric start for that matter. The starting problem can be a real frustration and take alot of fun out of the experience for her. Definitely go for the Magic Button!!!

Top Bottom