open headers

Apr 18, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'7" 200 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? all of the above, hopefully start comp racing soon
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes
5) Do you think you will race ? yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? i like the 2 strokes, never ridden a good 4 stroke. I like yam and honda
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes, honda, ktm dealer
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? under 7 grand
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 21
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I am 6'7" and currently ride a stock 02 yz250, I was wondering what other bikes have a significantly taller seat hight?
or any other mods I can do to my current bike to make it more comfortable
any imput would be appreciated

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
open headers said:
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'7" 200 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? all of the above, hopefully start comp racing soon
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes
5) Do you think you will race ? yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? i like the 2 strokes, never ridden a good 4 stroke. I like yam and honda
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes, honda, ktm dealer
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? under 7 grand
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 21
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I am 6'7" and currently ride a stock 02 yz250, I was wondering what other bikes have a significantly taller seat hight?
or any other mods I can do to my current bike to make it more comfortable
any imput would be appreciated

I think you would benefit from a cr500.

open headers

Apr 18, 2008
I currently own a yz490, biggest mistake of my life. Cant pull the front tire off the ground in first gear!
Its probably just my bike tho
I would love to try a cr500.\
not sure if the newer ones or older ones are bigger. maybe even an AF would be good

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Neither of which have a taller seat height ..... than anything else (MX bikes).

200lbs can be moved easily enough by a 250, my 250F moves more than that faster than I want to go...

Look into taller bars/bar mounts, lower peg mounts and tall seat foam. Pretty much your only options, but will make a big difference.

Big CC's does NOT make a "bigger" bike.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Do you have any idea what kind of bike you want to own?
You said above you want to race eventually.... you need to decide WHAT you want to race. Unless it's desert, you don't want an XR650. I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure Canada is short on desert racing.

Short guys ride MX bikes, tall guys ride MX bikes ... you just adapt. There is NO BIKE MADE for someone 6'-7", regardless of engine size. They are all virtually the same size once you get to 125 and up MX bikes. Trail bikes are generally shorter, but only by a matter of inches. Street bikes are shorter still.

I have no idea what the seat height of a XR650 is, but if I had to guess? It's shorter than a 125 MX'er or close to the same.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
as a dude both bigger and taller than you, Mr. open headers guy, I'll tell you that you'll just have to live with what's offered bike wise. Then you go into customizing mode. There are really only three things to do that will make your bike fit you better:
  1. handlebar mounts
  2. tall seat
  3. footpegs
So far, I've moved my bars up and forward, and put on pegs that move them down and back. Both of these adjustments are mere millimeters, but it's amazing the difference you can feel. I would suggest you look into the adjustable tripleclamp (my KTM came with them stock, but there are many manufacturers) and pegs (Mine are Fastway). I will probably go with a taller seat, as I'm getting older and the less distance I have to stand up will be easier on my knees.

good luck

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The YZ490's had two jetting setups as I recall, there was the way fat with blubbery performance setting and the scary fast but burn a hole through your piston setting.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
I dont see why your current 250 with some seat, handlebar, and foot peg wouldnt work. Thats really as big as they get i guess. Im 6'2" & weight between 235-255 depending on the training season and find my 06 YZ250 to be plenty fast when set up right. I do not, however, like bikes that can get away from me too easy. THere must be some extra wind resistance when you get to be 6'7"?

open headers

Apr 18, 2008
I was thinking about an AF, but there are none around me that are for sale.
and dude when your 6'7", you pretty much want to stay seated. because when you stand up the wind gets you and you can pretty much fly off the bike. but thats when your crusin in 5th doin about 130 clicks.
Im just going to look for the bars, and pegs.

open headers

Apr 18, 2008
O and what hight via the pegs do you have your rear break set at.?
I have mine about an inch below the pegs because when I wheelie I cant seem to find the break when its any higher

Top Bottom