stuntrider91

Nov 8, 2008
I'm looking to get into riding and i've been searching craigslist for some used bikes.
1) I'm about 6'1 and 150-160lbs and I'm 18
2) I have to say I can be a pretty agressive/physical rider. (young mentality lol)
3) I plan to ride just anywhere I can. I hunt, so maybe some trails and fields. I dont think I'll race seriously just with some of my friends.
4) I ride atvs a lot but never a dirt bike before
I live in Arkansas and I dont have a model/2 or 4 stroke preferance, just trying to get some of your opinions.
Here's a description of a bike I found locally. What do you guys think?
"This bike is owned by a 59 year old man so it has not been abused. This bike has been serviced by the Yamaha shop. It runs great it still has original tires on it, I have a new front & rear tire to go. Just serviced, had a small leak in the front fork and was fixed, oil changed, valves checked, chain in great condition, so is the sprocket, brakes in great condition, has pro taper handle bar skid plate. $1,900 or best offer"

Thanks in advance

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
hi.
About the bike you talk it would be good to know what make/model it is :P.

Am 20, i was rigin ATV in past too on trails hunting etcs.
Well for the bike..
If you dont plan on racing i would get a trail bike instead of a mx one its cheaper, but if you whant it more racing as we usually do(may race between friend a bit i guess while ridin and so on) a mx bike is fine if you can afford it :) its better to see yourself. Trail is cheaper, weight more and have more equipment, but made de-tuned and more reliable. Mx is lighter, better suspension, less equipment(like a odometer) and require bit more maintenance.

For the size of the bike, i'd go with a 250 2 stroke, or bigger 4 stroke But first see what you feel the best on. For the 2 stoke vs 4 stroke, if you feel well with both and really have no preferences get what the best deal you can, and still can consider the maintenance intervals/price between both.

If you gonan run everyday and dosent like to rebuild an engine head i go with a 4 stroke. If doing the mecanic isnt a problem then i'd go with a 2 stroke as it will be cheaper to maintain.

stuntrider91

Nov 8, 2008
Oh my bad. It's a 2001 Yamaha YZ250f.
I've narrowed it down between two bikes, a 2001 Yamaha YZ250f for $1900 obo, or a 2001 Honda Cr250 2 stroke for $1800. Most of my riding will be on weekends at my hunting spot. Which is long stretchs of dirt roads but also has some hills (but can be avoided)
So 2 smoke or 4 stroke?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
mathd said:
hi.
About the bike you talk it would be good to know what make/model it is :P.

Am 20, i was rigin ATV in past too on trails hunting etcs.
Well for the bike..
If you dont plan on racing i would get a trail bike instead of a mx one its cheaper, but if you whant it more racing as we usually do(may race between friend a bit i guess while ridin and so on) a mx bike is fine if you can afford it :) its better to see yourself. Trail is cheaper, weight more and have more equipment, but made de-tuned and more reliable. Mx is lighter, better suspension, less equipment(like a odometer) and require bit more maintenance.

For the size of the bike, i'd go with a 250 2 stroke, or bigger 4 stroke But first see what you feel the best on. For the 2 stoke vs 4 stroke, if you feel well with both and really have no preferences get what the best deal you can, and still can consider the maintenance intervals/price between both.

If you gonan run everyday and dosent like to rebuild an engine head i go with a 4 stroke. If doing the mecanic isnt a problem then i'd go with a 2 stroke as it will be cheaper to maintain.

That is UNTRUE in this case. Actually, a four stroke is the one that needs periodic head rebuilds. :coocoo: Two stroke heads are just hunks of aluminum with water jackets. Both bikes are high performance MX bikes with VERY short top end service intervals, probly 60 hours for a camp bike. Four strokes get more expensive becuase of oil filters and valve train components. A cr250 will be lots more fun to rip down fire roads with. I don't know why but the 2 strokes are just more fun to ride in a straight line. ;)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And you REALLY need to work on your spelling mathd, I would guess you're about 7 by the way you write.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Don't forget that english is mathd's second langauge.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Really? You Canadians, your wierd. :coocoo: :nener:

If that IS the case, I apologize. If not, QUIT IT!

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
French canadian. from quebec.
anyway thx.

2 stroke require piston/rings changed more often but are less expensive and easier to do yourself is what i meant.

Never said that a 4 stroke dont require them changed often, it also require valve to be adjusted on some models everyonce in a while. Just that 4 stroke will require it less often, and if he dont like doing the mecanic himself it allow him to send it to the shop (less often) but at more cost.

For trail riding(wich he is gonna do), the 2 stroke spinning fast for long time will wear the pistons and rings much faster, thats why 4 stroker is recommended for this use , except if he dont care rebuilding the top end more often himself at less cost(wich is a good thing and not an issue).
I dont think hes gonna race the 4 stroke everyonce on the trails (specially while hunting) as this is not a race so its gonna wear slower as this is better fitted for this application, dont need to get into detail i guess you how these works :nener:...

Notice i dont talk about MX bikes only but in general for MX/Trail bikes in my previous post...

That is true if not then most mechanic/racer here(not here on the internet/forum but..) that i know have no knowledges with this.

Anyway, if it was me i go with the 2 stroke, but he is better see what fit the best himself with the info he get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom