Looking for a Carb

capitan joy

Jul 1, 2000
I think its time to lose the monkey and replace my carb. Who can tell me which PWK my 91 KDX 250 has? I believe the slide and or body has worn out because this sucker won't idle and the bottom end performance sucks! Jetting will not cover up the problem any longer. By the way I have rebuilt the engine twice but the problem persits. Anyway, I'm heading towards a replacement carb with a #6 slide. Any comments? Who would give me the best deal on a new carb?
Bring it!

capitan joy

Jul 1, 2000
Come on guys, I'm having to respond to my own question just to bring it back to the top! Will a KX-250 PWK fit/work? I will rejet whatever I get but am looking for that cross ref. Lets go know it alls. I know your out there!

mayj

Feb 24, 2003
This place has a quite a few carburetors, for sale, they are mainly deal with vintage bikes, but all the carbs were new mikuni and Keihins. I'm going to rebuild mine with RB-designs, but they were selling the Keihin Airstriker for $160.

http://www.pro-flo.com/

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
If I were you, I'd send an email to ron@rb-designs.com and ask him for a recommendation. A RB modified PWK Air Striker carb cost me $325 new. That should at least give you a ballpark replacememnt cost.

Best,
Greg

capitan joy

Jul 1, 2000
:eek: Thanks guys. Hey I'm a little behind on the Air striker PWK. Will it perform better or is it an appropriate replacement for an OE PWK? I guess what I'm asking can someone tell me what it does differently than the basic PWK. I'll give Ron a shout as well. I'm not sure anyone can fix a worn out slide/barrel but I'll see what he thinks.
I found that the PWK Air Striker and basic PWK are both sold for $169.00 (38mm) at Pro-flo.com...now thats a smokin price if the carbs are new...I'm looking into that as well.
Damn it's been almost 2 years since I road the KDX (been having babies) but I'm fired up to ride again. I took my Xterra out to Sand Mountain and saw all those guys rippin the dunes on their dirts bikes and man was I jealous. I used to ride their like 2 or 3 times a month. Any of you guys been their? The place is sick!

mayj

Feb 24, 2003
Probably don't want to go for the 38mm unless your machine originally used it. That carb is pretty big. I drove over to pro-flo to look at the carbs and found that the airstriker has some vents to help the low end out, the standard pwk does not. Also the guy at the shop will look up what you need and is very knowledgable. He's big into vintage motocross racing so if you mention it, be prepared to bench race awhile. I offered that alternative because I thought you were looking for a new carb.

As for me, I'm going the RB route because I've only heard good things about him. I have e-mailed him an he is very willing to help. I think on my kdx the largest oem carb is 35 mm and RB is boring it to 36mm which is a lot since it x Pi, plus the jetting is done out of the box. (I will check the plug though)

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Looking at buykawasaki.com it looks like the KDX250 had the same 35mm PWK the 200 had. I would advise not moving up to a 38. You will lose bottom end--which is what this motor is designed for...

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Sudco has a retail price of $211 for both the 35mm PWK and the 35mm PWK A/S. I have a RB modified 35mm PWK A/S overbored to 36mm and an added divider plate, along with some other adjustments. Like mayjr said, the A/S is still a PWK but it supposed to have better throttle response. The RB modification should have the carb really acting like two different carburetors depending on throttle position. The divider should keep velocity high on partial throttle so on the bottom end, the power should be better than stock. That's what I'm hoping for and we'll find out tomorrow.

Fuzzy, how'd you figure out that? I just looked at the '91s and the part numbers were different? I'm curious what I missed.

Best,
Greg

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Greetings.

I just checked my manual for a 1991 KDX250 and the carb is listed as a PWK38.

It has a physically larger "body" than the 35mm... so you can't swap one into a KDX200 unless you tweak the intake boots.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Still, the AS model comes in a 38mm, I :think:.

As said, ron would know.

Agreed...if you're buying a carb anyway, might as well get an airstryker and have ron modify it from the gitgo.

That's assuming you do some technical 'bottom-end' type riding. If all you do is scream in the sand, the modification would be less useful to you.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Here's the info I have on the PWK A/S. If you're interested, look at http://www.sudco.com or http://www.keihin-us.com/pwk.htm. On sudco's site, they have full info on pilot, main, and needle jets (so does Keihin, but its seems easier to read on Sudco's site).

Best,
Greg

capitan joy

Jul 1, 2000
Thanks guys. I'll look at my manual again. For some reason I cannot find the mm size but it seems to confirmed that the 38mm was stock.
Our riding here in western Nevada is extremely varied. It's all high desert mountains with large flat valleys in between. Most of the single track will be at the bottom of small canyons. Just trying to follow like 3 foot wide dry washes through scrub pines and pinions. Otherwise your on open trails of dirt and sand with hard packed calcium rich crust intermixed. Don't forget the sandstone and granite. Man do we eat up the tires! All that loose material will give ya miles of woops on the busy trails. Sometimes the woops go on for so long you either pull over and rest or try to cut a new trail in the soft sand that is full of sage brush. I tell ya, if I didn't have any bark busters I would not have any skin left on my hands. All in all its the best riding I have ever had just becuase you can pick your terrain and no one bothers you.
Anyway, I'll grab an Air Striker this week and hope all my goo is gone for good.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…