diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
I would love to find a cool new riding area for a few friends and I to check out.
Currently, we do most of our riding in the so Cal deserts and mountains. You know
how it is, you get to be in a habbit of riding the same places all the time and want
to find something new. So many of the riding areas are a bit over ridden with
never ending whooped out trails. I want to find something fresh, somethig new
and challenging. Something not everyone knows about. Maybe in the central CA
area. Would love to find some little used and little known single track. Please let me know
if you have any fresh ides for me. Feel free to PM me if you want your little spot
kept a secret.

Thanks in advance

Diesel

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Diesel.

Keep an eye on this forum for local rides. Also the local chapter SoCal Wrecking Crew forum.

What area do you live in? We have a very large group here in So Cal., and we have an organized ride about once a month.

One thing though, if we show you our trails you have to show us yours.
That sounded a little kinky.:eek:

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
ol 89er,
I live in Acton, about 20 minutes N of the Santa Clarita area. Most people have no
idea of where that is. There is actually some riding right out of my backyard, but
I don't like to wear it out.
I will definately keep an eye on this forum and the wrecking crew forum. I know a few
cool riding areas that are pretty much off the map, but as you said, "you show me
yours and I'll show you mine".:confused:

I think it would be cool if the so cal chapter could communicate with north and central cal -
that way we could share some spots that the others would otherwise never be aware of.
I really want to explore other remote riding locations. If we keep it small, we can each
try the others spot without overwhelming any particular location.

Thanks,

Diesel

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Check the Elkins Flat April 13/14 thread. Elkins would be a bit of a drive but you'd have a great time. I grew up/learned to ride in SoCal - Jawbone, Gorman/Hungry Valley, Big Bear, Rowher Flat, Lucerne, Pozo, Ballanger etc. After living in Santa Rosa for 2 years I must say I really prefer the NorCal woods.

Brian

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
nvr fnsh,
Thanks for the advice on that thread, some good info. What can you tell me
on Pozo and Ballanger as I don't believe I have ridden these areas - at least not under these
names. Have you ever heard of an area refferred to as Bean canyon, used to be Hannah's
stomping grounds I understand. I don't want to disclose its location as it isn't a designated location.
Anyhow, thanks again. Keep the info coming folks.

Diesel

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
diesel.

Bean cyn. Talk about whooped out.:scream: We used to go there a lot. Parked at Mel Hannah's house, Bobs uncle. I remember when we first started going out there. There was this skinny little kid on a mini bike that was completly nuts.
Guess who he was.

And yes, I know where Acton is. Used to be a race track out there many moons ago.:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: (Many moons)

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
ol 89er,

Bean realy isn't too bad these days - not as far as whoops go anyway.
Not sue if it used to be worse. Some good, tight woods trails up in the
mountains and definately some huge hills. It is pretty much a bust these days
so it keeps the crowds down. I guess Kiedrowski (sp) rides out there some.
I actually have some coold riding right out of my house, but much of the area is
private property or part of a conservation deal:moon: , so I try to keep useage
down to a minimum to prevent trouble.

What can you tell me about Elkins flat.

Thanks,

Diesel

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Diesel,
Bean Cyn was before I started riding - I've heard plenty about it, could probably find it, work with a guy that used to ride there regulary BUT never rode there.

Pozo is off Hwy 58, east of Santa Margarita/San Luis Obispo. I went to collage at Cal Poly so Pozo was our backyard.

Ballanger is off Hwy 33 (Ojai) between hwy 166 (Santa Maria/Bakersfield) & where Lockwood Valley Rd (Gorman) hits Hwy 33 - basically west of Hungry Valley/Gorman.

The Tortise described most of the NorCal areas very accurately in the Elkins Flat thread. I'd agree with him about Elkins being an intermediate area - similar to the NF trails at Gorman.

Brian

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Well If you're serioous about a new riding area then head over here. There is a bi-jillion acres of BLM land to ride on and it is a blast..

zilla

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
Thanks NVR, what is your favorite riding spot up in that area where you are now?
Do you think Ballanger is a worthwhile spot to check out?

Hey Zilla,
I would love to come riding up there. I spent 8 days on a ranch outside of Pinedale up there this summer - nice!
I wouldn't mind moving up there some day -really nice country. What area do you live in and what kind of riding do you
typically do? Unfortunately it is a bit far for a weekend trip for me.

Diesel

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by diesel59
Thanks NVR, what is your favorite riding spot up in that area where you are now?

That's a loaded question..... I'd have to say Downieville. Everytime we stopped I was thinking to myself how awesome the scenery is. Unfortunately, Downieville is also the most technical area and therefore has some scary, at least for me, sections. I'm not a huge fan of shelf trails that have turns with rocks sticking out into them that require you & the bike be leaned over the downhill side of the trail.... There is/was one such turn at Gorman on Tejon Trail (I think) that always threw me:scream:

Originally posted by diesel59
Do you think Ballanger is a worthwhile spot to check out?

It's been a few years since I was there but I'd have to say 'No, it's not worth the drive'. The NF trails at Gorman or Big Bear are better IMO. Less people at Ballanger but not as many trees from what I recall.

Just curious, what year CTD do you drive? I drive a '00 4wd 2500.

Brian

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Zilla-----Care to mention some BLM land that you can ride on. I ride around Sheridan and Buffalo, and see lots of BLM land in the Big Horn Basin. But I'm not so sure you can ride there. I hear the BLM guys are not fond of us either.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001

Hey its probably still closed because of the snow and is fairly long drive for you, but you should try Kennedy Meadows. Its about 6000-8000ft and has some nice trails. It's about 30-45 mins past Ridgecrest and i believe it opens when the snow melts, which should be in about a month. OL89 you ever ride up there?

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
NVR, I drive the same year as you - 00', 2500 4x4 with 6 speed. I've got some mild work done to the motor -
fueling box, injectors, exhaust, air filter, gagues, Mag-Hytec rearend cover ... I could go on and on.
Anyhow, its a lot of fun - tons of power and much more on tap.

Where in BIG Bear did you ride. In the summer, I ride out of the Pinnacles staging area near Arrowhead,
some good trails up there. Downiville sounds interesting - I like that technical stuff sometimes. How far
would you say that is from where I am in Acton, or say from Bakersfield?

Thanks,

Diesel

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
Hey Boodac, I have ridden Kennedy before and am looking foreward to another there this spring.
Actually don't consider it to be too far from me, I can get to mojave in about 45 minutes, not too far
from there. That place isn't really near anywhere. the hardest part of that drive is after you leave
the highway and start heading up the hill. I've only been there once but am looking foreward
to more. Some good technical stuff from what I saw. My understanding is that there are a couple of
different places to ride once you get up there.
I want to learn more about it. Any ideas?

Diesel

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
diesel,
Yahoo maps says it's 485 miles/9.5 hours from Acton to Downieville. It's a bit of a drive. I'm trying to plan a trip to Downieville for the May/June time frame - maybe Memorial Day W/E. I don't know my way around the area very well so it'd be a lot of exploring type riding.

We've staged out of the campground over behind Fawnskin or from my friends cabin at the east end of town by the airport. My bike is dual sported so it's rather convenient:) Don't remember the trail names/numbers - could probably point to them on the map.

Brian

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Last spring one of the local DRNers that lives in Big Bear put on a ride. (Mtngoat) I'm sure he has another in the works. There were both green sticker loops, and a dual-sport loop for the guys with plates.
If you do a search, I'm sure you can dig up the old ride report and check out all the pics GSR posted from that ride.
89r', do you remember the head count? About 30 riders?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
Last spring one of the local DRNers that lives in Big Bear put on a ride. (Mtngoat)
89r', do you remember the head count? About 30 riders?

There had to be at least 30 riders there Boy. Mtngoat and Dale put on one of the best rides that we have around here.

Boodac. Yes, Kenndey Meadows is one of the most awesome places in SoCal. Great single track.

diesel. The whooped section was mainley at the start of the foothills. You are right about the single track up in the pine trees. I love the look on the new guys faces when we take them down 'The Slide'. That is the big sand hill that when you are at the top, you can't see the bottom. A little too much front brake and over you go.:eek: Also, when you are part way down, you can't go back up. I have some ex-friends that still don't talk to me because of that hill.:debil: Go figure!

Also, we do get together with the northern chapters, check out the thread in places to ride, 'The Reno ride.' I think this thread set a record for one of the longest threads.

Ol'89r

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hey guys. Dale, David, Yvo and I were talking over the weekend about another "big bear fest". Looks like July. I need to nail them down on the date to be sure we have enough guides (and that "middle rider" you suggested Terry) to avoid the delays.

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
I would be interested in a Big Bear ride for sure. Like I said, I do some
riding out of Pinnacles near Arrowhead, but some of those trails have been
closed due to fire. I would love see more of the area though.

Diesel

IM12RSPCT

Aug 21, 2001
You guys ever hear of Rasor? Some people call it Afton. It is 30 minutes before Baker and is a great place to ride. Not at all crowded with lots of open space to ride. We are headed there 4-5 to 4-7. Trying to get all my buddies to go.

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
I've heard of it but never ridden there. What kind of riding is it? - primarily
desert I assume. Is there lots of single track? Any mountain trails?

Diesel

IM12RSPCT

Aug 21, 2001
Its open desert. Some big dunes to small play dunes, lots of soft dirt trails, dry lake bed. Plenty of land to explore. No mountain trails. And its not all sandy either. Mostly soft dirt. Plenty of private camping space. No toilets or running water. Bring your own. I have been going there for 21 years. Love it there.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Mtngoat--it's good to see you back in the house! I'm definately looking forward to another Big Bear run with all the usual suspects!
Please keep us posted.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
Mtngoat--it's good to see you back in the house! I'm definately looking forward to another Big Bear run with all the usual suspects!
Please keep us posted.

I'll second that.

Let us know goat. I will be glad to be one of the middle riders or run sweep. Whatever you guys need.

Also, I will try to control LT this time so we don't have another incident like we did at Deep Creek last year.:moon: ;)

IM12RSPCT. Are you talking about the Razor road area?

Top Bottom