Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
I've been wanting to get a dirt bike for the longest time. Well a guy I work with has baught some land and is planning on building a track and some trails. He rides a Honda XR400 and his son rides a PW50. Here's my details:

1) your physical size:5'9 175-180lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I workout 4-5 days a week and semi-aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- woods, fields with friends and maybe some tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience? 7yrs of street riding.
5) Do you think you will race ? Not sure!
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I'm pretty well mechanically inclined. I'd rather do the maintenance on the bike if I can.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I like Honda's. Not sure if I should get a 2 or 4 stroke.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes! Honda dealership
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Looking to buy used between 3-4k.
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. Not really!

I've been looking at the Honda CRF250R and the CRF250X. Almost baught a 1990 CR125R for $500 but didn't. Also been checking out used CR125's but not sure if a CR125 would be right for me. I guess I'm not sure if I should buy a 2 or 4 stroke bike. Either way I think a CR125 or CRF250 would be a good start for me. What do yea think? Thanks!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
With your size i would go with the CR250 instead of the 125 if you were wanting a 2T, otherwise the CRF250X is a great bike (i have one) if you are going to be riding in the woods and fields as you say. Get the R if you are going to be on the track more often.

I would have no hesitation to pick up a used CR250 2T but i do not feel comfortable buying a used 4T (unless i knew the owner well) with all of the valve issues i read about everyday.

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Went to the Honda Dealership!

Went to the Honda dealership yesterday. Talked to one of the salesmen and told him I'm looking for my first dirt bike. I told him that I would be doing some trail riding, maybe some hare scrambels races. He said the bike for me would be the CRF250X. He said they have a deal on the 06 CRF250X. $5912 out the door. He's bring one down from another store for me to look at. How's that price sound and should I buy used for my first dirt bike or maybe consider a CR125R to start out with? What do you think? Thanks!

richardgd

Jul 26, 2006
Not sure how many 06 CRF250X's there are around but there are a few of the 250R's left. My friend was just quoted $5199 out the door for a 250R from MFI (motorcyclefactoryinc.com)in Virginia. $5912 seems a little high but I am more familiar with the R prices. I would call a few dealers and if you drive across the state line you can usually avoid sales tax.

RMZRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
if your brand new and dont know much of maintenance, a new cr125 would be great. low maintenance, great for trails and tracks and hair scrambles. a 4t is also great, i have owned both and like the 4t but some suggest a 2t first. i'm impartial but love 4t more.

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Right now I've narrowed it down to three bikes. The CRF250X / CRF250R and the CR125R. Not too sure about the maintenance required for all three but plan on doing it myself as much as I could. I'm mechanically inclined so I'm not worried about turning wrench and doing the maintenance. I'm planning on buying used unless I come accross a smoking deal on a new or left over bike. Do 4t require more maintnenance then 2t? Thanks!

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Something I need to findout is the maintenance required between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke. I don't have a lot of time off from work so I'm looking to get a used bike that wouldn't require a lot of maintenance. This is were I need some experienced rider feedback. This will help me in deciding on what bike to get. Thanks!

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I've actually met a guy that pieced together a bike. He rode street bikes alot. He was riding that thing like he's almost been riding a year, but he said it was his first ride. He was taking jumps and switching gears good. It was unbelievable that it was his first day. But it obviously was the experience on the street bike.

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
If you like adjusting valves every 10 hours and changing oil after every weekend of riding. Go for the CRF. If you want to have a bike that you just have to change the oil on once a month and stick a ring in once a year and piston every other year get a two stroke. Your size and weight I'd get a KDX 200 or 220 they're smooth and can be made as fast as you want it to be short of an MX bike.
I wouldn't rule out KTM's 300 its legendary and bullet proof. I would also look into KTM 200 its in the price range you want. I would also look into the Yamaha WRF's 250 they don't have the valve issues.
Right up front, I'm biased to two strokes because I'd rather ride than spend the weekend trying to retune the thing, over all its cheaper to own a two stroke. Look at it this way.
2 Strokes, you have 3 moving parts. Piston, Rod, Crank. 4 Stroke, dozens of moving parts. Crank, rod, piston, timing chain, cam, rockers x 4? valves x4.

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Thanks!

ZeCatfish...very well put! A buddy of mine I work with had a KTM 200 MXC I think. It was the KTM 200 that was the 2 stroke just can't remember if it was a MXC or EXC. He really liked that bike but now he rides a YZF250 and all he talks about is adjusting the valves after he races in hare scrambels and weaking the engine. I don't know if that's required or just him. With not having a lot of time to ride I'm leaning towards a CR125R to be able to just get on and ride when time is available. I like Hondas and always have. I'm going to start looking for a nice used CR125R if not find a left over new 05 or 06. My son is 3 and all he talks about is getting a dirt bike. So part of the deal for him to get potty trained I've promised him that if he can poop and pee on the potty and not ware a diaper, he'll get a dirt bike. The way things are going it's going to be soon! Probably didn't need to know that but he gets a dirt bike, daddy gets a dirt bike! :cool: Thanks for the feedback!

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Found a Bike!

I found a 02 CR125R for $1900. I haven't seen it in person but from the pictures is looks to be in "Like New" condition. Bike has Renthal handlebars, V-Force Reeds, FMF Fatty Pipe. Also the bike comes with a few extras, the stock handlebars, stock reeds, set of woody woodpecker design front, side, and rear plastics, FMF spark arrestor silencer, Clarke 3 gallon tank, extra seat with cover. The previous owner didn't use it the often but the current owner beleives that they put a fresh top end on the bike. What do you think? Deal or no deal? Thanks!

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Good Deal on CR125R?

I posted this over on the "what bike should I get" forum and haven't gotten any feedback. So I thought I would ask it over here. I found a 02 CR125R for $1900. I haven't seen it in person but from the pictures is looks to be in "Like New" condition. Bike has Renthal handlebars, V-Force Reeds, FMF Fatty Pipe. Also the bike comes with a few extras, the stock handlebars, stock reeds, set of woody woodpecker design front, side, and rear plastics, FMF spark arrestor silencer, Clarke 3 gallon tank, extra seat with cover. The previous owner didn't use it the often but the current owner believes that they put a fresh top end on the bike. What do you think? Deal or no deal? BTW this will be my first dirt bike and I'm 5'9" and 180lbs. Is this enough bike for me? Thanks!

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
seems pretty good if in good shape,i bought my used and beat up 02 yz125 from a pawnshop for 2800 with a 1993 cr250 so my bike was about 1800.

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Help!

I need one final confirmation. For my height (5'9") and weight (175-180lbs) is a CR125R going to be too small for me as my first bike andwill I get board with it quickly as my experience grows? I just would hate to get a 125 only to find out it's not enough bike and need to look for a 250. Thanks!

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
CRF250X or R Questions

I'm still checking out some dirt bikes and right now I'm between a CRF250X & R. I know you would use on for trails (X) and the other for racing (R). My problem is I'm not sure of what type of riding I'll be doing. A buddy of mine is going to be building a track so I'll have a place to ride but not sure if I'll be doing any trail riding also. Another buddy of mine races hare scrambles so I might possibly get into that. Which bike should I seriously be looking to get? If I got the X would I be able to remove the electric starter, battery and front & rear light to cut down on weight? Does that sound logical or would it better to just go with the R? I just don't want to get a bike only to findout that I should have gotten the other. I guess it would come down to do I really need the luxuries of the X i.e. electric start, head & tail light. I just need someone with riding experience to help me here! Thanks!

richardgd

Jul 26, 2006
First of all, I am 225 lbs and ride a YZ125 2-stroke. If you are new to riding, a 125 is capable of going faster and quicker than you'll want to for a while. With a 125 you just have to work harder to make it go, more shifting and slipping the clutch. I bought and rode an 05 CRF250R this summer. I liked the bike and it was much easier to ride due to the low end torque. What I didn't like was that it was a lot heavier than the 125, pain in the ass to work on (ie: have to remove the gas tank to change the plug, can't easily spin carb to change jetting, try to adjust the fuel screw without dropping the mini screwdriver while scorching your hand) and I didn't have as much fun riding it. I sold it this fall and bought a leftover YZ125 for $4400 and love it. But as far as the 250X or R, it sounds like you already understand the differences. Personally, if I knew I wouldn't be riding at night, I wouldn't want the added weight of the X. You can easily use the R for hare scrambles or use the X to race MX. I think you'll be able to find an R for less money though. If there are any left, you should be able to get an 06 for around 5K. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
richardgd...thanks for the response. I might not totally ruling out a 2T 125. For as much as I think I'll be riding it might be the cheapest option for me as far as getting a dirt bike. Also they are easier to work on and maintain. Thanks!

Top Bottom