JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Monk, I wouldn't consider anything except the TTR 125L or the CRF150 in a new bike. But bear in mind that the electric start is going to add 15 pounds or so, and the older TTR 125L or the XR100, without e-start, are so easy to start that you don't really need the button. You can start either one with your hand; you can start them in bare feet. Your wife won't have any problem. Personally, I'd go with the lighter weight. I'd get a one- or two-year-old TTR 125L or a really clean XR100. Both really reliable, easy to ride, non-threatening. And fun for you to do wheelies on.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
JMD said:
I'd get a one- or two-year-old TTR 125L or a really clean XR100.

That's the way I'm leaning. There's '03 L model TTR's out there for under $2k. She didn't like the XR100...said it was too small for her. I kinda agree. Plus, the red will clash with her pink gear. I've already been told that a Honda is down on the list because of this "feature".

I think I might have to start the TTR125 hunt and see what I can dredge up.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
The 125L will be just a bit taller than the XR100, so she should like it. And the pink will go well with blue. Are you going to get matching gear, so you can both be pretty in pink?

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
I don't want the pink, I want the powder blue and pale yellow Acerbis gear. We're going to go try on gear, and I already called. Cycle Gear has the blue/yellow in Women's XL.I hope it fits.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Estart on a TTR 125 would be a waste of money. You could practically start the thing with your hand! Well, I couldn't, but I bet somebody with an average amount of strength could... What I'm getting at is that they're really easy to kick, and start quickly. Save the weight and money.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
I don't know where the e-start thing came from. That's not really a concern. The weight is more important when starting out. It's taken me quite a while to not fight the bike (and I still do it, just not to the point of exhaustion anymore). Added weight makes for a miserable day.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
Done and done.

Picked up a '03 TTR 125 L (big wheel) for $1600. The bike is in good shape, runs good, and is the perfect size for my 5'3" wife. So far, she's been doing braking, shifting, and turning drills in the back yard.

The only down side is that there's not going to be too much grass left in the back yard. We live at the end of a cul de sac (pie shaped lot) on a half acre. That means the back yard is just the right size for a TTR 125 L. I'm already trying to talk the boss into letting me build a couple of small jumps. After about 30 minutes, the good lines around some of the trees have the tell tale signs of ruts-to-come. :) I parked it after I noticed a groove starting to develop.

I might have to get another one.

Mar 11, 2005
the_monk said:
Done and done.

Picked up a '03 TTR 125 L (big wheel) for $1600. The bike is in good shape, runs good, and is the perfect size for my 5'3" wife. So far, she's been doing braking, shifting, and turning drills in the back yard.

The only down side is that there's not going to be too much grass left in the back yard. We live at the end of a cul de sac (pie shaped lot) on a half acre. That means the back yard is just the right size for a TTR 125 L. I'm already trying to talk the boss into letting me build a couple of small jumps. After about 30 minutes, the good lines around some of the trees have the tell tale signs of ruts-to-come. :) I parked it after I noticed a groove starting to develop.

I might have to get another one.

Congrats!

keep us posted on her experience with the new bike. Mine is facing some dificulties and I am becoming a bit desperated. So, I decided to put her on a riding course, to teach her the basic stuff... riding position, braking position, how to make curves. I bought brand new tires (with maximum grip possible... they should melt in some months...). She will have the course this saturday... I will cross my fingers and pray to a happy end!

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Good choice, Ryan. Hope she enjoys it. The first major obstacle most new riders face is learning to control the bike in turns. They often feel they have to leave the clutch out and just go around the turn as fast as the bike wants to go. Once they learn to pull in that clutch and use it to modulate their speed, they begin to control the bike, instead of the other way around.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
I hope all goes well :cool:

Having grown up riding these things, I can't imagine just beginning to learn at this age, even though I'm only 25. I think as you age, you start to think too much when most of it is just "becoming one with the bike."

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
She's doing good so far. She learned how to start/stop/shift/clutch on neighbors XR100s and little 2-stroke 100cc yamaha. She weaves through the trees in the back yard pretty well. I also had her doing stopping drills for ahwile yesterday. She's really enjoying iy. The perfect size for her, easy to start, not TOO heavy (although it's heavier than my 250). Unfortunately, I broke my collar in the back yard bone on the KX, so we won't get to go for quite awile. Hopefully, the surgery will promote quick healing. Now I just need to find a ride to SuperX tonite... Vicodin and automobiles don't mix. :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
JMD said:
The first major obstacle most new riders face is learning to control the bike in turns. They often feel they have to leave the clutch out and just go around the turn as fast as the bike wants to go. Once they learn to pull in that clutch and use it to modulate their speed, they begin to control the bike, instead of the other way around.

So that is what I am doing wrong! ;)

You can put a BBR Swing arm on the bike and add 1 inch to the wheelbase and 1 1/2 inch to the height when It starts getting too small.

Don't sell it, they are great pit bikes!

Top Bottom