looking to increase bottom end

njkx

the bike is a 05 YZ 250f. Lately is seems that there is a lack of bottom end power. It could be the performance of the bike or it could be that I have become more comfortable and more skilled with it over time. In any case I am looking to increase bottom end power. Everything is stock on the bike now except I went up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket (49).

Is an $800 investment in an aftermarket exhaust worth it? What are some other suggestions?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Are your valves properly adjusted and sealing properly? How about the piston and rings? Any loss of compression past a leaky valve, worn piston or loose rings will hurt bottom end power.

I would verify your compression, and make sure that the valve train and piston/rings are in good shape before spending money to 'upgrade' the exhaust.

njkx

valves were checked and in spec....but maybe 10-15 hours on bike since checked...still starts 1st or 2nd kick if that means anything.

I think a Hot Cams stage one will increase the bottom end power for far less money then an exhaust system. You could try your hand at a JD jetting kit for more bottom end as well as a boyseen quick shot.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
njkx said:
What are some other suggestions?
How often are you replacing the piston and rings?

njkx

Rich Rohrich said:
How often are you replacing the piston and rings?

Ahhh, well...uuhhmm, never. At least I am honest.

approx 50 hours total on the bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
njkx said:
Ahhh, well...uuhhmm, never. At least I am honest.

approx 50 hours total on the bike.
That's where your bottom end power wandered off to. ;)

150rguy

I got fat bars!
I might be wrong, but doesn't the smaller rear sprocket give it less bottom end and more top?

thanks for all your help..gonna have a friend do the top end. Maybe a high-comp. piston. I have a feeling that will be all I need.

Any suggestion on compression ratio for this bike? Also manufacturer? CP, JE and Wiseco seem to be the most popular.