Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
Hi all. Need to get some basic info about what trail bike could be right for me. I am used to a street bike (CBR600F3) and have never been on a dirt bike.

Here are some basics:

1) your physical size = 5'9, 170lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you = average. I run a dog sled in the winter ;-)
3) what do you plan to ride = ORV trails and 2-tracks in Michigan.
4) Do you have any riding experience= only street bike (CBR)
5) Do you think you will race = no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work = yes
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke) = Only ever owned Honda.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry = Most major brands at local place
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike = 4k or less
10) Do you live in California = thank god no.
11) Your age= sigh.......too damn old....
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion = Just looking for something to cruise some trails. Not planning on jumping...racing....as I may only use it 4 times a year do not want to drop a lot of money on a bike. Want a new bike so I know the history.

This is my current choices but I haven't really looked:

Yamaha TT-R230
Honda CRF230F

So I guess I need to know...is 230cc too small for me?
How many miles can I expect from a 2 gallon tank?
How fast do they go?
why the price jump from 230 to 250?
Why do some 2xx bikes cost twice what the others do for the same brand?
And....any advice or thoughts you have :-)

Thanks,

Will

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
ok here are some of your answers.

a 230 will probably be a good size for you but it is small powerwise and they are very heavy for their power.

you will get pretty good gas mileage with a 230. they sip gas. it is impossible to say how many miles though.

they go as fast as we let them.

the price jump is because the the 250X and WR250 are based on the CRF250R and the YZ250F which are full blown MX bikes. they have essentially the same engines with different gearing. they are also liquid cooled and have aluminum frames etc.

not really sure what your asking about the other question.

for you i would recommend a used 125 2T. with a little modification they can make amazing woods bikes. 125's are also cheap to maintain. and better yet you will be able to find one in your price range. heck my local dealer had a 07 CR125 for just over 4k brand spankin new.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
How about a used Yam TTR 250? Fairly easy to make street legal (to link-up trails), dependable, simple air-cooled motor, not "fast" but ok, cadillac ride if not pushed, elec start. I'm a "seasoned" rider, would NEVER use one for racing, but I rode one for doing some trail-arrowing one weekend and it's a nice, quiet, comfortable ride.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Dunno, but perhaps Yamaha is still making the TTR250. Even new it might be in your desired price range...?

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
An example of my question about two 230 CC bikes differing in price is this:

Honda CRF 230F is $3649 and is "CR styling"
Honda CRF 230L is $4500 and is "MX Bike styling"

What do CR and MX stand for and is it worth a grand difference?

When you say the 230 is small powerwise is a 250 that much different?

Thanks for all the info to date :-)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
"Styling"....... big woop IMO.
I'm not real familiar with the Hondas (haven't ridden one) I do know they're a low-to-the-ground bike (campground bike IMO). Meaning... short travel suspension. I think you could EASILY outride one, and you may be frustrated shortly after purchase. While the TTR250 is a league above in suspension performance, the power will be a little more and an aftermarket muffler will find good gains.

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
The Yamaha looks to have about 1/2 inch more ground clearance so that isn't much of an issue compared to the Honda. I do not see that they still make the TTR250. They have a TTR230. Would that be much less powerful with 20 fewer cc's?

Does an aftermarket muffler make them much louder?

Apr 30, 2007
Renthorin said:
An example of my question about two 230 CC bikes differing in price is this:

Honda CRF 230F is $3649 and is "CR styling"
Honda CRF 230L is $4500 and is "MX Bike styling"

What do CR and MX stand for and is it worth a grand difference?

CR stands for Honda's racing model bikes. (I have a Honda CR 80). MX is the shortened version of Motocross.

Pay no attention to the "Styling" CR and MX are really kinda the same thing...it just means that the plastics are designed to make it look the same as a race bike. They're just words to get your attention in this case.

The real difference is:

Honda CRF 230F is $3649 and is set up for general off road riding...It has electric start, and that would be it. Between the two models, it will be lighter.

Honda CRF 230L is $4500 and is set up for both on/off road use. It comes with a lights kit (headlight, brake light) mirrors, and probably a license plate bracket. It's gonna be a heckuva lot heavier with all the add-ons. Though, if you need to ride a ways to get to some trails, you won't have to deal with the flashing lights and fines!

When you say the 230 is small powerwise is a 250 that much different?

230F model - 249 pounds (give or take for gas level).

250F model - 227 pounds (give or take a few).

The 230 is heavier. The extra weight is going to make it feel a lot slower. You may be unsatisfied with the power after a little while. I'd suggest the 250F, or X (X has lights and can be made road legal).

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
I put together a spreadsheet with for Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki for 230 and 250 models. I tossed the 4xx on there too but not sure I want that much bike in the woods.

The Yamaha's have better ground clearance, weigh less, and cost less than the Honda's. That was interesting :-)

I am looking at the Yamaha WR250F if I go the route of a 250 instead of a 230. Downside is the 250 is about 3k more than the 230 and I am pretty much buying this to run 4 times a year at most.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
justalonewolf007 said:
CR stands for Honda's racing model bikes (I have a Honda CR 80). .
CR stands for "close ratio" referring to the transmission setup on their "MX" bikes. :cool:

May 10, 2007
Green Horn said:
CR stands for "close ratio" referring to the transmission setup on their "MX" bikes. :cool:

i have always heard that it stood for competition racer. doesnt make much sense to have Close Ratio trail bikes....

just like RM stands for Race Model.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
I have ridden the CRF230 and its a great little bike for just putting around trails but power seemed weak for my standards. Honda's CRF250X is a bit more pricey but well worth it IMO. That thing really cranks for a 250F. Same as the WR250F. If you could find a used one for 4 grand its definitley worth looking into. A cheaper alternative to the 250F's are the 125 2 strokes such as a CR125R or YZ125. These bikes are lighter, faster and do circles around the crf230 and for 4k you could buy almost a new one if not slightly used from a dealership. However if you don't need all the get up and go the 230 will exceed your needs for a trail bike. Great reliability, gas milage, and affordable too. Either 230 Honda or Yamaha will suit your needs , but i would test drive it before forking out the cash on one.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
And WR= wide ratio

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I looked at this bike but I went with the 2008 WR250R. Dual purpose and built as a dirt bike that you can ride on teh street. Fuel injected, aluminum frame but it's about 1k more MSRP.

Picking mine up later this week. I've been riding street bikes for about 20 years and used to ride dirt as a kid. Sold the 02 R1 to buy this bike.

Good luck.

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
Yeah I looked at and still am the 250R but it is about 1500 more and for something I plan to tool around on 4 times a year....I want to keep the $$ down.

Plus riding gear...
Plus trailer.....

hoping someone can give me some pros/cons about the XT250 :-)

Apr 30, 2007
Did you go sit on it yet? :)

The seat height is two inches lower than my CR 80...

I've been checking out comparisons, and the XT is supposed to be even more gentle than the CRF230..

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
No, didn't sit yet. Was in my work clothes and all.

Hmmm...not sure I want gentle :-) I think it is heavier than the 230.

Oh well....still thinking of what I want :-)

Apr 30, 2007
Given, I'm really biased towards Hondas (if you couldn't tell hehe), but I think you made a pretty good decision! :cool: Let us know how it goes!

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
Renthorin said:
Alright.....just going to bite the financial bullet and get this:

http://www.nicholsonfun.com/new_veh...&veh=58415&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2008

Whooohooo my brotha! :cool:

I just bought one this past Saturday and picking it up at the end of the week. From what I hear it's a good choice in terms of dual purpose. The KLX250S was the other I looked at but just wasn't enough dirt bike.

For me I don't have a truck and the ride park is only about 7 miles away. So I can ride out to the park, ride then ride home before the wife and kids at home ever even knew I left :nener:

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
Yeah my CBR 600 was a Honda so I like them. But side by side the Yamaha is a little less expensive and since I am already going over my intended budget :-)

Now I need to buy a trailer for the bike. Want one that has sides too so I can put some camping gear back there.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the info I gathered.

Will

Top Bottom